Discovery II 2000 model - Speedo Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodyinperth

Reaction score
Hi THere, :hello:

Looking forward to some interesting discussions...
Just bought a disco series II, V8 second hand, :proud: has 127000km's, looks like it has never been off road but that it what I have bought it for!:biggrin: Looking forward to fishing and enjoying some fun with my kids and friends with Series I.

Has an annoying problem that I have discovered and I could do with some advice if you could assist -
Noticed that sometimes speedo stays at 0 when I pull away if I have had my foot on brake pedal. It then works properly until I touch brakes when it drops to 0 again? Seems to be something to do with vacuum assist pressure??? Any ideas?

Also, there is a swishing of water just in front of drivers dash, noticed rust on bulkhead, could this be blocked water passages, A/C vents, leaves etc?

Looking forward to some assistance, love the car!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... Speed O on a D2 is kind of complicated. Not only does it get info from the VSS, but also the ABS sensors... I would say a good cleaning of the ABS sensors on all four wheels should help.

woodyinperth

Reaction score
Great thanks Joey for such a quick response, will definately try when the CD arrives with the manual...and I work out where the ABS sebsors are :)
WHatever happened to speedo cables :))

woodyinperth

Reaction score
Big problem with coolant usage!

Hey Joey, :help: you have so far given me some great info..could do with your assistnace again.
So the landy is using a bit of water, losing it out of the header tank, about 1Lt over 600km, seemed to come out of overflow...had mixed responses from mechanics....is under warranty with dealer I bought from luckily!

I took to one place who said it failed TK pressure test on engine and had either cylinder head or liner gone, this would cost between AUD$2000 to AUD$10000 :frown:

Took it back to dealer to get it sorted as fortunantely at his cost but he has taken elsewhere and has said blocked radiator is causing problem and has ordered new core

Would appreciate your thoughts as I am not convinced and will be getting independent test on whole vehicle once i get it back. Am :mad: that I have done less than 1000km in this car but glad it happened now while under warranty:biggrin:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are losing coolant out of the overflow, it is overheating or building up too much pressure.

Overheating can be anything from a radiator to a thermostat, to a bad block or cracked heads.

Pressure will normally be a bad block or cracked heads. Find a good mechanic and get it fixed under warranty.

woodyinperth

Reaction score
Thank you

Hey there,

Just an update on the Landy.
Had al sorts of issues but stuck to my guns. Went to reputable landrover dealer for full vehicle check at own expense as vehicle under warranty from caryard so was worth finding all faults and getting repaired... ended up with heads done, rear suspension airbags replaced, new radiator, computer reset and other bits...have since fitted new tyres and am looking for other accessories to have fun with...Fantastic vehicle, incredible off road... worth the wait as we have scratched it and it us no longer polished :biggrin:

woodyinperth

Reaction score
having problems with cruise control mechanic tells me its the spiral cassett has any body repaired one im handy with soldering iron thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9