Discovery II Headlights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to fit the original disovery series II lights into a disco series I ?

(The ones below)

roverbig022500.jpg

I have seen it done, but im not sure if it didnt require any sort of modification to the frame. Im just looking for a face lift.

D

discomike

Way too much work to make the change from what I have heard.
Mike J.

M

montanablur

I copied this from an earlier post, not to challenge Mike, but I hope it's right because I just ordered some two days ago...

Sam Hayes wrote...

"They fit like a glove. The D1 lights have a rubber lining, but the the D2 lights don't. That does not affect the installation. You can put them in with no problem! The D2 lights are actually cheaper too! I sold my D1 lights on ebay, and bought new D2 lights with the money (I got really lucky). You can try that I guess."

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disco Mike said:
Way too much work to make the change from what I have heard.
Mike J.

I have heard that the '03+ are difficult to install but not the '99-'02's. I think they would be nice but I've heard that the parts, '03+, are expensive. Let us know how the install goes Sinuhe.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that you stand corrected Mike. I haven't tried the swap so I can't speak from experience. I've read a few threads, one here and the other at discoweb, about this subject. It seems that it should be easy and straight forward to switch to series II headlights though.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why don't you guys have a look at my disco here..

The only difference is the D1 lights have a small rubber ring around them. When the D2 came around, they figured they did not need the rubber around the outside of the lights. So it is exactly the same, minus the rubber ring, and I just swapped them straight out. Very easy.

The xenon lights (2003-?) are a bit more tricky. You need to modify the front end quite a bit. Can be done, and I have been tempted, but my D2 lights suite me just fine.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good Sam! Where did you get the light housings and how much did you spend on them? TIA.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I spent about 130 for the two. I got them from roverconnection.com.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sam! I'll have to look into that. Those were new, right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99