Discovery SE 04

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bolha79

Reaction score
Hi, I'am New Ok, Looking At A O4 With 38500 Miles, Looks Like To Me A Oil Leak At The V-covers, Needs Rotors And Front Pads Any Thing That A Need To Looking For?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you need to do with the v/covers is buy a 8mm, 12 point socket and tighten the 2 bolts on each valve cover, not too tight though and do it at every oil change.
As for the rotors, why do you think you need new ones? Where are you going to be buying your parts from or are you going to have a shop do the work?

bolha79

Reaction score
All you need to do with the v/covers is buy a 8mm, 12 point socket and tighten the 2 bolts on each valve cover, not too tight though and do it at every oil change.
As for the rotors, why do you think you need new ones? Where are you going to be buying your parts from or are you going to have a shop do the work?

I'AM GOING TO DO THE WORK AT HOME IF THEY DO NOT ROTORS AND PADSAT AUTO ZONE TWO ROTORS FOR 130.00 GOOD PAD 80.00. I LOOK AT THE ROVER ON SUNDAY UNDER LOOKS LIKE OIL LEAK MAYBE IN FRONT OF THE MOTOR IN FRONT OF THE OIL PAN LEAKING INTO A PAN FRONT OF THE MOTOR MAYBE TIMMING CHAIN COVER? I'AM GETTING A GOOD PRICE BECAUSE INSPECTION RAN OUT IN FEB. NEEDS TWO TIRES GOODYEARS HP ROTORS, PADS, TIRES,INSPECTION AND NEED TO FIX THE OIL LEAKS. 4,000 FOR MY CAR 9000 OUT THE DOOR IF A BUY THE PARTS,IF NOT 1200 MORE. ONLY 38,500 MILES ON IT.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Valve covers probably just needed tightening. Rotors and Pads check out Atlantic British.

pjvarc

Reaction score
hi mike,

we do you suggest to buy a 8mm, 12 point socket and tighten the 2 bolts on each valve cover, not too tight though and do it at every oil change? 2003 and 04 are known to valve cover gasket leaks. why not just replace the valve covers ? i know its an expensive job but shouldn't it last another 80k or so?

pjvarc

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plan on rebuilding or replacing the front drive shaft to prevent it failing and taking out your tranny.
Be careful when buying brakes. Man of the parts store brands squeak and will throw the 3 Amigos. Consider Atlantic British as a better place to buy on line.
Here is a service list, do it all to get your truck current.
1 Oil filter, K&N 3001 or Mobil 1- 301
1 Factory air filter
6 Qts. of engine oil
2 feet of 3/16th vacuum tube
2 feet of 5/16th vacuum tube
12 Qts. of ATF
7 Qts. of 80/90W synthetic gear oil, 85W/140 for HD use
3 Pints of synthetic DOT 4 Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant, also called DexCool
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb. Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platinum Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt
2 Bottles of SeaFoam gas additive
1 T/Stat
1 bottle of WaterWetter or Purple Ice
Hoses and belts, as necessary

60,000 Mile Service or Major Service for High Mileage Used Vehicle just purchased

Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Change the coolant and t/stat
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi mike,

we do you suggest to buy a 8mm, 12 point socket and tighten the 2 bolts on each valve cover, not too tight though and do it at every oil change? 2003 and 04 are known to valve cover gasket leaks. why not just replace the valve covers ? i know its an expensive job but shouldn't it last another 80k or so?

pjvarc

Why pay $300 to fix a leaking v/c gasket when you can just tighten them once in awhile?
all Rover engines had this issue, not just 03's and 04's.

bolha79

Reaction score
Rebuilding front drive shaft to prevent it failing and taking out your tranny.
What parts do i need to buy, and can i i do this myself?
oil leak at at front of motor location if so timing chain cover?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge