Discovery-what should I know

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

missdoolittle

Reaction score
HI! I was looking for 4wheel drive for this winter & came across a 97discovery. I couldnt stop thinking about it so went back for a test drive, I luved it & now I think Im hooked. Ive been trying to research them & Ive seen mixed reviews. Is their anything I should know before buying a Discovery or anything I should look for that they are known for. Is this a car most mechanics can work on or does it require special tools at a Land Rover Dealer? The records indicate it was maintenanced by a dealer but I live an hour from the closest so that may not always be possible. Im going back to look at it with a mechanically inclined friend & thought some pointers might help. I appreciate any advice, Thank you!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. On a 97 it really depends on how it was maintained and giving it a good once over. If at a dealer... remember they all leak fluids i.e. power steering will be leaking... Valve covers will be leaking... use this to your advantage when making the deal.

Check the Cruise control to make sure it works... if it doesn't negotiate the price, might just be a bad vacuum line.

If it has sunroofs, they will rattle when open and are expensive to fix this rattle (which will happen again anyways) as long as the sunroof doesn't leak your good.

Make sure to test heat a/c and all lights. Check that when the headlights are on the tail lights and dash lights work (headlight switches tend to be cheap and go bad).

Before you start it, check all fluid levels.

Anyone can work on a Rover it is a matter of if they are willing. Remember the engine is a 1960's era Buick 215ci with some electrical changes so anyone should be able to work on it, but will they?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on it, what are they asking for it? It would be wise to find a local shop and have them do a pre-sales inspection.
If you get it inspected and have any questions, get back to us.
By the way, a 97 was a good overall 4wheeler.

missdoolittle

Reaction score
Ok, Thanks Guys!! So it is normal for the fluids to leak? Records in the glove compartment show it was serviced &stamped at all the suggested mileage marks at a Landrover dealer up to 100,000. Now it has 160,000 miles & they want $3500 at a car lot but its not a Landrover dealer. It started right up & drove beautifully, no weird noises or redflags, just the anti lock brake light was on. They said they did very little to it & had the door apart replacing a motor in the back window. It looks in great shape 1 little crack in the plastic around the shifting handle was the only flaw I could find, no sunroofs. I have a mechanic checking it 2maro to see if he finds anything. I know the mileage is high & wasnt sure what type of life expectancy they usually get. Is there a reason mechanics might not want to work on it?
Thanks so much for your input!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
ABS light on at start up is normal... it should go off after you reach 5 or 6 MPH if I remember correctly, this is normal. If it doesn't go off, this is another way to lower the price and not a huge deal breaker.

If it were my money I wouldn't go over $2700 on it but that is me. Start around $2500

missdoolittle

Reaction score
well, nothing was leaking but mechanic says it has a bearing problem that will need to be addressed. He found a couple minor cosmetic things he thought should have been fixed for the price & said the transmission fluid smelled a little burned but it might be old & said that should have been changed too. I was advised to keep looking. Disappointed, I havent had a chance to see if they will fix these issues or negotiate the price. Im going to look around some more & think about it.

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, I bought my '97 disco for $2635 on ebay with 135K on the clock 2 years ago. I agree with Joey (as I usually do) re price.

KC BOB

Reaction score
well, nothing was leaking but mechanic says it has a bearing problem that will need to be addressed. He found a couple minor cosmetic things he thought should have been fixed for the price & said the transmission fluid smelled a little burned but it might be old & said that should have been changed too. I was advised to keep looking. Disappointed, I havent had a chance to see if they will fix these issues or negotiate the price. Im going to look around some more & think about it.

definitely ck steering box for leaks, trans lines, p/s lines, btw I have a great 96 D1 would entertain selling @ a price.....pic's and a list of things done available, can email me at
[email protected]ks

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My starter LandRover was a 97 (217K) and it leaked everywhere but ran OK. I upgraded to a 2004 and it's running super! You are getting on the edge of reliability and need to price accordingly.

KC BOB

Reaction score
My starter LandRover was a 97 (217K) and it leaked everywhere but ran OK. I upgraded to a 2004 and it's running super! You are getting on the edge of reliability and need to price accordingly.

wait til you see the LIST of things done to this rover before opining.......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112