DIY - Brakes - Rotors & Pads & Sensors - Success

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to replacing all four brake rotors, pads, and the two wear sensors on my 05 LR3 HSE. Very straight forward work, and easier than some cars I have worked on. However what is hard. . .is simply that the LR3 parts are so beefy and heavy. It is tiring just slinging the rotors, wheels, and calipers around. (By the way, I love that the LR3 is so hefty and weighty.)

Some tips. . . You don't need any specialized LR tools. You do need 12 point sockets, NOT six point. Normal six point sockets won't work. These are for the the caliper anchor plate bolts. The front are 21mm IIRC and the rear are 15mm. The rears are torqued to 100+ and the fronts to 200+ ft-lbs. . .Ouch. That is typically 2x the torque for lug nuts. . .

You also need two thin open end wrenchs. Some say you need to grind down the standard wrenches here in the states. Not true. Get a "Gear Wrench" in the correct size of. . .17mm in front and 13mm in rear IIRC. The GearWrench is open on one side and ratcheting on the other. The open jaws are skinny and work perfect on the LR3 caliper bolt standoffs.

You will have quite a lot of brake fluid pushed out due to retracing all the pistons (six) Make sure you have a bleeder bottle/hose all set up and get replacement fluid prior to the fun.

I used genuine replacment LR parts ordered from Atlantic British. No squeaks, problems, etc. on the new install. Although my initial order get messed up as I did not get two of the four rotors. . . Atlantic took it upon themsleves to right the situation better than I could have asked for. They overnighted the two missing rotors. (Overnight on two massivly heavy rotors. . .that must have been a fortune.) Now that is some fantastic custormer service!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112