Do I need to get the locking rear differential for beach driving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a used LR3 and will be driving it on a nearby beach. It's hard to find a used SE with the heavy duty package. Most of the HSEs seem to have it but I prefer the SE with 18" wheels. Do I really need the locking rear differential for sand driving or is it more for rock crawling when one wheel is off the ground? IMHO, every LR3 should come with the heavy duty package...the full size spare alone justifies the cost.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My impression is that it would help somewhat but that with all the acronyms already on the LR3, it is still very capable on the sand, despite it's 3 ton weight. I think it's probably more a factor of the kind of tires and pressure you run. I think the locker benefits are more a factor when you get one or more wheels up in the air.
I'm in the same boat as you, type in 'heavy duty' in the search criteria on autotrader or cars.com and the list gets pretty short.

Airboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The locking rear differential is part of the Heavy Duty Package which includes one other nice feature - a full sized spare tire. I would certainly be looking for an LR3 with this package.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer, I had a lot of info posted on this before the server hiccup'd.

The LR3 does good in sand, appropriately tired. Even with the stock tires, it's not bad. The locker is more valuable in sand than traction control.

Attachments

• Picture-189.jpg
    Picture-189.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 77

DefenderFanCA

Reaction score
Bummer, I had a lot of info posted on this before the server hiccup'd.

The LR3 does good in sand, appropriately tired. Even with the stock tires, it's not bad. The locker is more valuable in sand than traction control.

That's a nice pic!

I had to go to multiple dealerships to find an LR3 with the HD package, but I believe it's worth the hunt - especially because the cost is negligible.

I've always wondered why this is even an option. It would seem to me that any minor incremental revenue LR gets when folks buy this option is largely offset by them having to carry more variations in the production line.

However, for some reason, they once again failed to consult me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4