DO NOT buy your LR3 tires from NTB...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...if you care about your vehicle. Seriously, it is not worth it. For the price you may save on tires and a service contract you will *more* that pay for that in your time wasted and damage to your vehicle.

I'll give a specific example below, but basically, when I decided to upgrade my GY tires to the Michelin Synchrones I inquired if anyone should be able to work on a LR and was told, "sure, take it to anyone." I'll now say from experience that if you have paid a good chunk of change for your vehicle, you probably care about it enough that it is worth paying for someone to service it who will also work on it with care. Some care, anyway...

Since the initial tire install with them I have been back for a couple allignments and a recent flat repair which turned into a catastrophe. Some bad NTB service examples;
  • Whatever time estimate I was given they always blew away by at least doubling the amount of time (a 2 hour visit will always be 4 hours...30 minutes never means less than 90 minutes, etc.)
  • My car is always returned with grease all over the steering wheel, seat, and carpet. (no carpet covers)
  • My wheel is scratched both where they put on the lugnuts, and around the rim where equipment is used to remove the old tire (again, no care to protect your investment).
  • Tire pressures are NEVER adjusted properly, tire caps are lost, and your vehicle may be backed out of the garage, at high speed, at night, with no lights, into the parking lot where there is other traffic.
  • In short, the entire operation is an accident waiting to happen.
  • There is clearly no management structure to train anybody here on even a remotely acceptable quality process.

Next time I buy tires, they will be installed at the dealer or a privately owned automotive shop I trust.

Here is my recent experience. Its long, but this is a draft of a letter I'm going to send off to NTB when all this is finished.

Two initial questions,
(1) Should I be concerned that a non-LR shop is replacing my wheel hub? Anything special about this work?
(2) Is it safe to drive around on 4 lug nuts (5th one cross threaded and almost off)?

12/4 - Took tire in for flat (slow leak over 2 days). Nobody could look at it, so I asked to at least top off the air until I come back. Pumped up air and told me to come back tomorrow. No appointments are taken so just come by anytime and they'll take care of me!
12/5 - Came by at 11:00, was told by Kevin that it would be a 2-3 hour wait. Waited for a bit then went home. Called at 4:00, they had done the allignment, but had not yet looked at the tire repair, rotate or balancing. They said it'd be 30 minutes. I told them I'd be there by 4:30. I came in and nothing had been done and at 5:00 they looked at the tire and said it can't be repaired because the nail was too close to the side of the tire. I'd have to buy a new tire. At this point I'm pretty annoyed because obviously, someone could have glanced at the tire when I dropped off the car to do a quick assessment. I had a piece of tape on the wheel pointing to the nail!!!
- I reminded them that these tires should have damage protection, he looked, said it was covered, but since it was after 5:00 he couldn't order a tire until tomorrow (Thursday) which he would do first thing in the morning. New tire mounting and balancing would cost me $40.
12/6 - I called in the afternoon to see if the tire was ordered and was told that the tech from yesterday, who was going to order it as soon as he got in, was off today. So another guy called but since it was late in the day he didn't figure it would make it out on a truck for delivery.
12/10 - Tire is in. I go to get the new tire installed, along with the rotation and balance. I remind them as I do every time that the front tire pressure is 33 and the rear pressure is 42. They never adjust the pressure even though the F/R tire pressure is printed at the top of their work order form.
New tire is installed, rotation and balancing complete. They know I am in a rush and that I had to wait 6 hours last week to get nothing done. Still, work is completed in an hour and the truck sits for 30 minutes before someone pulls it out of the garage only after I ask about it.
12/11 - Upon checking the air pressure I realize that one front is at 42, one is at 38 and the rears are at 34. The tech (*****) did not adjust tire pressures as directed. I had also left a large note inside the vehicle and the tech is the one who drove it in and out. In short, he clearly did not give a sh*t about the quality of his work. While I am adding air to my tires I realize that one of the lug nuts is barely on the stud.
I drive back to NTB and the desk manager, John, realizes that it is cross threaded. The mechanic is gone for the day and they'll have to order a new nut from Land Rover and probably a new stud as well as it will likely break off when they remove it. John says he will order a new stud first thing tomorrow and will call me with status.
12/12 John has the service manager Pete order the part and is told by LR that this repair will entail an entire new hub assembly, (not just a stud). Therefore, the part is on order and should be received by 12/14 at which time a mechanic will be on hand to complete the work....​

..as much as you would expect, I have not "gone off" on them during this experience. The desk people are friendly, the place just continues to f*ck up. Every time they screw up they apologize and I feel like nothing I shout would improve the situation anyway, so why be an asshole just for the sake of yelling. ?

I would much rather have LR complete the hub replacement work and bill NTB, but I think that will be a hard argument on my part. I'm open to suggestions on how to do this, but when another shop f'd up something on my car they argued for doing the repair with their own techs for obvious reasons (its cheaper for them).

I'm open to suggestions, but more importantly, just don't use NTB!
This particular NTB is located in Germantown, MD.

-todd

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really sorry to hear that, Todd. I had similar experience (not as bad as yours). I did wheel balance/alignment at local shop and they ended up scratching one of wheels. Not severe but there is a difference between me scratching during normal use and shop scratching almost a brand new car. Also, steering wheel wasn't centered and I had to go back to them. Again, it's wasn't nearly as bad as your experience but I thought "this much money I spent on my LR3 and I am going to (who knows how good) local shop to save a couple of $???" Sure LR3 dealer service is pricy but from my experience with dealer, they do their best to satisfy their customers. In my opinion, it's worth of money and way to protect my investment. My two cents - Brian

geoaustin

Reaction score
Wow, what a nightmare. I bought my Goodyear SilentArmors (which I love) from a Goodyear shop and also had the shop install them. Wonderful experience with proper care and inflation. I've had questionable experiences with NTB from previous cars and agree to avoid them in anything short of a wheel-barrel. Best of luck and hope your LR3 is back in action before the year is out.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
toddjb122;59358[COLOR="Blue" said:
Two initial questions,
(1) Should I be concerned that a non-LR shop is replacing my wheel hub? Anything special about this work?
(2) Is it safe to drive around on 4 lug nuts (5th one cross threaded and almost off)?
[/COLOR]

12/4 -
12/12 John has the service manager Pete order the part and is told by LR that this repair will entail an entire new hub assembly, (not just a stud). Therefore, the part is on order and should be received by 12/14 at which time a mechanic will be on hand to complete the work....​

I would much rather have LR complete the hub replacement work and bill NTB, but I think that will be a hard argument on my part. I'm open to suggestions on how to do this, but when another shop f'd up something on my car they argued for doing the repair with their own techs for obvious reasons (its cheaper for them).

I'm open to suggestions, but more importantly, just don't use NTB!
This particular NTB is located in Germantown, MD.

-todd
1. I'd be concerned. Nuts get cross threaed by sticking it in an air tool and then spinning it on INDY Car style. The proper way is to hand start before an air tool is applied, and then lightly before hand torquing to the proper spec. Or you can use a particular air tool attachment that will torque them down. Either way, they should have been hand started.
With the amount of qulaity control here, I'd be surprised if any of these are torqued to spec, or just with impacts set on "****". Thats a good way to warp rotors, and hub mounting surfaces as well as possibly damage wheels. If these guys can't handle installing a tire, how can they possibly handle installing a hub? The front hub bolts on, and the axle nut must be removed. Will they get it back on right? If it is the rear hub, it will need to be removed and pressed off the bearing, and the new hub pressed on. Sometimes the bearing gets damaged. I don't feel these guys have the knowledge to know the difference.
2. four is okay short term. I'd check the torque though.

At this point, I'd be afraid to go there. I'd discuss it with the Store Manager that you would like the hub work performed by the dealer and billed to them. If he (or she) is not responsive, I'd get it done, with extensive notes taken by the dealer, and attempt to submit the bill to a NTB district or main office. You may not get reimbursed, but these guys have not built any faith in their technical abilities, and yes, it may be expensive, but the car is worth more than that and if they screw it up, your life is worth more than that. If the dealer finds more issues, have them noted, and fixed and take them to small claims.

My $.02

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately being on the other side of this situation before, you have to let the shop try and do right with you. if you just take it to Land Rover and submit the bill to NTB, you probably wont get reimbursed. I would get an estimate from the dealer and submit that immediately to the highest reachable NTB representative. Personally, I would not let NTB do the work explaining that they are incapable of simply changing out a wheel/tire properly on that vehicle to begin with.

NTB is a big company which is better for you. Small claims court threats are great because its a lot of time and annoyance for them to deal with it. But of course you almost have to call the bluff on them. I would toss the word around and see how it goes. The counter guy will scramble and surely give you the number of someone higher that you can put the blame on.

Great job in being rational. I would be irate and probably get nothing accomplished. Make sure they are fully aware of your intentions and make sure any promises from them are documented. Take pictures and definetely get a dealer estimate. If you have to pursue small claims, all that is good ammo.

Best of Luck.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those responses.

It is the right rear wheel. The pressed bearing part scares me a bit.

It is, however, a different group of people doing the work. There are the tire guys and the mechanics, so a mechanic would do it. I did call LR and ask them their opinion on having another shop do it. They said it isn't as easy as changing a tire, but shouldn't be rocket science for a good mechanic.

I do agree that my preferred method would be the one you all recommended. I may not go that route just because of the time involved (holiday season, new baby at home, etc). I've wasted enough time with NTB. I'll probably give them this one last chance to fix it right, and then have LR check it the next time I'm in for service. And in parallel, send off a letter to NTB asking for $ back for the shoddy service.

I am 100% certain that there was no measure on the lug nut torque...well, none that took any effort on their part. If it is built into the air wrench, then maybe it automatically stops at the right torque. Other than that...yup, Nascar style was how it was done.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Goodyear SilentArmors (which I love) from a Goodyear shop and also had the shop install them. Wonderful experience with proper care and inflation.

Sorry to go a little off topic, but I too purchased my silent armors from goodyear and have had them install it. Do you have any balance issues at 55+ mph with the tires? The shop has balanced them twice in the past 5k miles and it seems to keep getting worse.

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started out there years ago at Sears and left because of the bs and low pay.

I went back for a part time job and just decided it wasn't worth the hassle of stupidity.

actually the time taken always takes way too long.

what happens is one guy does the alignment and the other does the tires and the another does the battery.

best part is it takes forever and to be a total **** I would have the alignment redone by the delear.

the rear camber might be marked but can and does slide out.

but if they dont check the air pressure before alignment its obvious they dont care if its aligned properly.

rule one, check the tire pressure first.

geoaustin

Reaction score
Sorry to go a little off topic, but I too purchased my silent armors from goodyear and have had them install it. Do you have any balance issues at 55+ mph with the tires? The shop has balanced them twice in the past 5k miles and it seems to keep getting worse.

I put on the tires about 8000 miles ago and started to see some balance issue about 4000 miles ago. I thought this may be due to several trips offroad, but the balance was never bad, just noticeable. I got the whole thing realigned (LR3 issue seems standard) and balanced and has been great since. Not sure what to tell you about the balancing except to try a different shop or the dealer.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I ended up calling NTB yesterday and explaining my frustration a bit to the store manager who honestly didn't even pretend to give a sh*t. I did politely ask him how I can be sure they'll be able to replace a hub correctly if they had problems changing a tire.

When I told him a couple other things they had done (scratched every wheel, throw on all the lugs Nascar style) he acted offended and let me know that I could get the wheel repaired anywhere I wanted and submit the reciept to NTB via a form he would give me. I wish I would have known that from the beginning.

I took it to LR today and they had me in and out within an hour...and that included a wash! And while I expected to pay a hefty bill (that I would then submit to NTB and hope for repayment), the bill was $28 for a new lugnut. Turns out the threads were fine, and they checked and re-torqued all other lugs (thanks for the tip on that).

So, no significant damage, other than a LOT of wasted time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink