Do u have to use your local dealer to buy new?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katiebee4

Reaction score
I don't have a local dealer - the nearest one is a 3 hour drive away and they have zero new LRs in stock of any model. There are a number of dealers 5-8 hours away that have plenty of cars but a couple have said they can't sell to me. Anyone know what the rules are and how it's possible to buy new in this case?

Thanks!

Katie

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to work with my local dealer to arrange a dealer swap for the LR4 I wanted, which was located pretty much the other side of the country. I faced the same issue, no one would sell a truck out of their assigned regions, which makes sense from the corporate side. Bummer is shipping charges, etc. to get it to your local dealer.

katiebee4

Reaction score
I called the dealer that is 3 hours away to ask about a swap but he doesn't have any cars to swap. I'm surprised they still count him as a dealer since he doesn't have any cars. I'm hoping they won't count me as being in their local territory since I'm 3 hours away. I'll hear back from another dealer later this afternoon...

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never buy cars new, but that strikes me as incredible, "they" MAKE you buy a car from your local dealer??? Actually sounds pretty illegal to me.

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really, it is the terms the dealers agree to so protect their respective territories from poaching by other dealers. They don't have the level of volume like Honda,Toyota, etc. to deal with it.

katiebee4

Reaction score
I heard from the dealer who does have inventory that I am technically in a different territory (with a dealer who doesn't have any inventory). So, the farther dealer CAN still sell me a car but they are given a 3k penalty... Which is passed to the buyer...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't your "local" dealer order a car for you, or are you in a hurry to get into one right now? I had plenty of local dealers that could sell me one, but none of them had the exact build I wanted, so I just resigned myself to wait 3 months or so and put a deposit down with the one giving me the best deal on the "special order" LR4 I really wanted, down to the color and every single option.

I have heard about LRNA instructing dealers to respect each others territory - up to a point I guess, as I didn't buy from my closest dealer either, but I am lucky to live in a place where I have a half dozen LR dealers within 50 miles, the lines get blurry in a big metro area such as L.A. I think it's mostly a honor system rather than a written rule, but it is true that unscrupulous dealers can get dinged financially by LRNA for selling outside of their territory, although I also think that dealer you talked to probably added a bit of made up drama with that 3K "penalty".

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to buy/order from your local dealer or else they get a financial charge. I was informed that local was determined by zip code

I ended up using the home address of my mom in another city to buy from a different dealer. That's an option for you if you have family elsewhere and can use their address for the purchase paperwork (you can always change the home address after you take the car).

If you want to order and they don't have an allocation for an LR4 then welcome to the wait list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis