Does Disco II V8 motor have a PCV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tempestv8

Reaction score
I've noticed that the pre-Thor V8 engines have a PCV (positive crank ventilation) valve?

But on my Discovery, there isn't one in the usual place. Does anyone know where the PCV might be?

Thanks in advance,

Lawrance Lee
'99 DII V8 auto
Melbourne, Australia

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no pcv valves

Does Disco II V8 motor have a PCV?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've noticed that the pre-Thor V8 engines have a PCV (positive crank ventilation) valve?

But on my Discovery, there isn't one in the usual place. Does anyone know where the PCV might be?

Thanks in advance,

Lawrance Lee
'99 DII V8 auto
Melbourne, Australia

Your right, there is no pcv valve on the buick engine, in the disco's.

External engine design issues:

# 1 Crankcase ventilation. Or positive crankcase ventilation { pcv } system. First of all there are no check valves in this system. Should the engine backfire, it will pressurize the crankcase, but it will be so slight due to the small hole in the valve cover hose connection, that I did nothing here.
2nd The pcv system is all pretty much at the same level as the pressure differential source…. Aka…vaccum, and all land rovers I’ve seen have an oily residue in the hoses, leading to the intake. Oil going down the intake is not a good idea. Oil when compressed quickly can ignite far before the plugs fire to light the mixture in the combustion chambers before their predetermined time. This is somewhat how a diesel engine runs, not gasoline. Oil, yes oil can cause the timing of your ignition system to change and become more advanced. This not only kills horsepower, but causes detonation. This kills valves, seats and pistons & rings, and is one of the Achilles heals of the land rover longevity designs. I heavily modified this system, after seeing all land rover rear tailpipes oily black inside…………… I found a good cure was to drill and thread a hole in the oil pan for a ¼” npt ****** with a male 3/8” hose barb on the other end. A 3/8” hose goes from the oil pan to the bottom of a filtered reservoir, which both valve cover hoses tee into. On the top part of the box above the filter, is the line that goes to the intake plenum.
This helps a lot, and aids in cleaning up tail pipe issues. The filter system does need to be replaced periodically, it gets oil soaked.

I endorse this second fix as a better cure for this.

I later modified this design to a long 3/8” fuel hose that goes from the valve cover on the passenger side to the right front lower radiator mount, tee’s into a vacuum reservoir, (I pulled of a ford truck), and then goes to the passenger vacuum port on the plenum. This actually works better than the former attempt. All that is necessary is a drain on the vacuum reservoir. Using the vacuum reservoir in the breather system made my wife’s engine run a lot smoother. Also by using my oscilloscope I found the cylinders were running more even than before I used the modified breather system. It made a noticeable drivability difference.

Take care…… Chongo
:bandit:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM