Don't know what to do, weird putt putting kinda sound and vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

importlvr1883

Reaction score
Please some advice would be great.

I have an 01 Discovery SE with 83k on it. Recently it started making this vibration whenever I'm pressing on the gas. Kinda like if you go a really long time without changing your plugs and wires and its misfiring or something. I just got new plugs and wires cause it was due for it anyway. This vibration is still here. I would say fuel filter but to my understanding the 01's don't have them. So the only other thing I can think of is a fuel delivery problem. Anyone had any past experiences or any advice for me for possible causes and solutions?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
More info:

Does it do this from start or just at a certain speed?

Any other odd issues?

What type of plugs and wires did you use?

How long has this issue been going on?

Are you getting a check engine light? If so have you had the codes read? What are they?

Type of fuel you use?

Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with a good fuel pressure gauge.

importlvr1883

Reaction score
Putt Putting sound and vibration under load

I bought the truck last January with 50k on it. I've been using 87 octane since I have gotten the truck with zero problems. Not sure of the type of wires i replaced with but I know they were generic oem replacements for the correct year and engine and everything. I used bosch platinum 2's for the spark plugs. The air filter was changed as well with the wires. Problem just started this past Saturday. No check engine light.

The truck idles perfectly fine. Its ok, no vibrations or sounds if I accelerate slowly up to like 35 mph. But if I'm cruising at like 35 and then press on the gas their is a vibration and a sound that kinda sounds like its misfiring but I think its a fuel problem. I put 93 octane and some lucas upper cylinder lubricant with injector cleaner in it last night and its running a little better but still the problem exists. This makes me think its definitely a fuel issue.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure from your posts, but did this issue occur before or after the plugs were changed?

Cheap Champions are the best plugs for the Land Rover, don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

importlvr1883

Reaction score
This started occurring before I changed the plugs and plug wires. It just felt like a problem that would have been cured with new wires and plugs since it had 83k on it and I don't know if the previous owner changed them. I'm not sure what kind of wires they are but I know they aren't champion. I will keep that in mind for next time though. The new plugs and wires didnt make a difference after I picked it up from the shop yesterday. What did was the 93 octane and the lucal injector cleaning additive. But still not running normal.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be carbon build up on the exhaust valves... common issue and may cause the problems you have...

Run high octane and Lucas in it for a couple of tanks and also try driving real hard from take of to travel speed... maybe a few miles in 3rd gear at highway speeds may help as well.

You have to get it hot to help with carbon if this is the issue....

I would also recommend the seafoam treatment in the intake.... search on here on seafoam and vacuum and you should find some good info on how to do this.

importlvr1883

Reaction score
Yeah I was reading about the sea foam stuff and tried to pick some up last night but they were all out. I'll try your advice and see what happens.

Eekie

Reaction score
I'm not an expert but I would make a minimum 91 oct. a regular thing. If it is carbon, it will come back after you blow it out if you keep running 87. By running the recomended fuel it will only improve things and keep it running better and longer and more than likely less headaches even further down the road.

importlvr1883

Reaction score
Yeah I'm gonna stick to the good stuff cause apparently it makes a difference after awhile.

Does anyone know if theres a dvd or manual for repairs and maintenance like a haynes manual or something for the 01 Disco's?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe there is a Haynes manual... but you can also pick up the RAVE CD (it is a copyrighted item so not something you can just pick up anywhere.

RAVE = Land Rover Factory manual

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM