Don't know what to do, weird putt putting kinda sound and vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

importlvr1883

Reaction score
I havent changed anything since I got it about a year and a half ago. Just did the serpentine belt, plugs, wires, air filter, and normal oil changes.

This is kinda funny but I have another sound now. My wallet doesnt thins so bit its like a fast chirping sound, again only when I accelerate and it comes and goes when it wants. Not too loud, need the radio off and windows down to hear it.

Ran the sea foam through the vacuum hose and in with the oil. Wasn't as much smoke as I expected but the behavior seems to be the same. It is a little less now with the 93 octane and the lucas additives. So thats my update.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Chirping sound will the be the s-belt tensioner.... it is made with a plastic wheel and a cheap bearing... Very easy to change. Can't remember on the D2, but the D1 you can change the bearing for about $5.00 other wise it will be around $100 to replace the whole thing.

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ticking sounds most likely comes from the valve train. I would be willing to bet that your lifters aren't getting enough oil.

Seafoam seems to have become a panacea for almost everyone's sick Rover:) I'm surprised that you didn't get a immense cloud of smoke from putting it through the intake. ATF isn't going to hurt you engine--it is an old mechanic's trick to clean out the crud. It also used to be popular to put in a quart of diesel. A good motor-flush might do wonders for you...at least you would be putting in fresh oil.

chris02disco

Reaction score
It does not have a dip stick.. but it does have a fill and drain plug. The fill plug is where the dip stick should be (sadly it is a pain in the *** to fill)

Please some advice would be great.

I have an 01 Discovery SE with 83k on it. Recently it started making this vibration whenever I'm pressing on the gas. Kinda like if you go a really long time without changing your plugs and wires and its misfiring or something. I just got new plugs and wires cause it was due for it anyway. This vibration is still here. I would say fuel filter but to my understanding the 01's don't have them. So the only other thing I can think of is a fuel delivery problem. Anyone had any past experiences or any advice for me for possible causes and solutions?

Hello, did you get this problem figured ouy?

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone get the recurring theme is stepping on the gas @ 35mph it's vibrating?

$5 says it's front "u"joint

IMO

luck,greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM