Draining the radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pre-oiler, up grades for me

Hi slam, this is beemer, after going thru a 3.9(2nd owner) at 60K with extended warranty the dealer removed the crank while engine in the Disco. After leagal Pow Wow i installed a 4.6 with RPI cam and chip with Borla exhaust,all is well. This Disco has a 5-speed. I installed a pre-oiler as Rovers have dry starts. Now at 92K i'm going to rebuiled the R-380. This is a street vehicle, 260% front, 190% rear increase sway bars. 4.6 and 4.4 Rangie's are a joke at stop lights with me as well as thru twisties. Zerks added to the suspension, airhorn and cold ram air. Don't forget smog, idle 4 of 100 HC max, 2,500, 5 of 180 max HC. Intake mods for low end torque added, on and on.
NUFF B S N 4 NOW! Carl.....................o&o>....................................

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Carl! I don't think I'm gonna spring for a new core, too much money. Curious though, how much did you get yours for.
TIA,
Mike

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
radiator core?

Monty, if your asking the cost or the radiator core it was $ 170. This was a walk in and out with two extra rows added, old tanks reinstalled thru a radiator friend for over fifty years. Yours must be higher. Remember to install a petcock on the bottom pipe stub while it's out, sure makes life easy when replacing coolant, hoses or any mechanical repairs. Carl...........o&o>........

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Carl! $170 doesn't sound too bad and having a petcock installed is definately a good idea. I just haven't had the time to mess with it yet.

I did put some prestone flush solution in there, anticipating that I would be pulling the radiator in a week or so. I noticed that the engine hasn't gotten as hot as it did before. I'm thinking that the flush solution dislodged some of the crud, allowing it to run cooler than before but by all means is not a fix so that will be addressed.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flush in the cooling system

Monty, make sure you flush the system good to remove all the flush chemicals.
Remove the block drain plugs, one on each side. When all repairs are done use distilled water not tap water with your antifreeze. Change the thermostat while your at it. Carl.................................o&o................................

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the headsup on the block plugs. Yeah, I know about using tap water so that won't find it's way in there. I planned on changing the t-stat but was also considering changing the hoses, upper and lower. They look OK but I'm thinking of changing them out while I have it all drained anyway.

BTW, I STILL haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. Oh so frustrating, I tell ya!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM