Driving in Sport Mode all of the time - bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H2OU

Reaction score
Another thread on this topic made me curious. Would driving around in Sport Mode all of the time negatively affect the transmission on our LR3's? I am not sure why it would, but I didn't know if more aggressive shift patterns wear the transmission quicker.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but possibly your gas mileage depending on your driving habits.

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use sport all the time once the engine temp reaches normal

GreyMatter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i never use it...perhaps i should since these things have a TON of eletrical gremlins...and maybe if i used them all i will have less problems

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't have any less problems. Do you know what it is for in the first place?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think mines broken if its intent is to make the truck feel 'sporty'. ;-) I use it 15% of the time when passing cars , driving a hilly road, or pulling a trailer.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use it anytime I'm not on an interstate and I think it's great.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had Sport on for a couple of years and didn't hate it. At the LR Experience course, the instructor told me to pay close attention to the truck for a week or so in Sport then take it out and pay attention again. I found that mostly the difference was that in Sport it shifted at a slightly higher rpm and cruised at a higher rpm (like it wouldn't shift into the highest gear in Sport). Fuel efficiency was down slightly in Sport, and responsiveness in non-Sport was certainly adequate. That analysis caused me to stop using it all the time. When I'm in the mountains I use manual a lot, but when I come out of manual I go back to non-Sport.

Someone who is REALLY attuned to their vehicle might find it to be better or worse in Sport, but I didn't find that it significantly changed my experience.

David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9