Driving with the hatch window up!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the weather is nice, and times like these I like having a clean breeze blowing out the back of the vehicle! (its a different experience...no hair flying in everybody's face, just straight back wind!)

Other than obvious safety things like someone falling out, or things flying out of your car, any reason NOT to do this with the LR3?

I've done it around town a few times now and it works nice. Haven't taken it on the highway yet with the window up Not sure if there are any wind issues with the window up at speed. ? I wouldn't do this off road, just on smooth pavement.

Well, no matter what everyone may say, give it a try some time. Its nice! :)

(just wish someone other than Toyota would make an SUV with a power rear window...although I am REAL happy to have a tailgate again!)

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not risking breaking the mounts or struts doing this. :smile: I've only done it while carrying some extended length items and never on a freeway. I'm sure it would be fine for short distances... but...

N

NHESS81

Ya, it was not designed for that kind of load...ya that little bump doesnt SEEM like much, but by the time the back of the car gets over it, it has translated a lot of stress into that little fulcum known as hinges....you can do it as long as you want, but in a few years, when you wonder why the window doesnt stay up anymore, youll know why....just open your three sunroofs instead!

quote "(just wish someone other than Toyota would make an SUV with a power rear window...although I am REAL happy to have a tailgate again!)" lol TWO things i absolutely hate! ok, well power rear window would be OK, but i hate the tailgate on the LR3, sure the swing gates of the Discos were annoying sometimes, but thats what made it fun to have such a piece of british 'engineering' and i like being different, otherwise i would have a jeep, or a 4runner....

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The back two "sunroofs" don't open in LR3. They are just part of the "fixed glass roof."

X

xcursion

I heard somewhere that this is not recommended. Something about the aerodynamics of the air in the back (ie exhuast/carbon monoxide) when the car is moving forward creating a vacuum and they get suck back into the cabin. Not good for your health.

N

NHESS81

LoL....well, at least my D1 is more 'advanced' than the LR3 in the working sun roof section....im not sure how much 'dangerous' gas is really going to get into the cabin by driving, yes a vacuum is created (notice dust and dirt on the rear during a storm...) but still...not good lol, wish the side rear windows vented at least, that would help a little...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, i could see any bumpy terrain (off road, fast speed bumps, etc.) being bad for this. again, flat driving around town, its seems pretty rigid, no movement noticed (can see it in my mirror).

i used to do this a lot with an old '92 jimmy/blazer i had. but, that was just a piece of lift glass so i wasn't too concerned. the LR3 window is a little more substantial i.e. heavier.

A

AZSTALZ

I used to do the same thing in my Defender when I had the hard-top installed, but I'd usually aquire a not-so-good sort of 'buzz' when I finished driving... plus the fiberglass in the areas around the hinges showed some cracking, so I quickly ended that routine.
--AZSTALZ

24Hours

xcursion said:
I heard somewhere that this is not recommended. Something about the aerodynamics of the air in the back (ie exhuast/carbon monoxide) when the car is moving forward creating a vacuum and they get suck back into the cabin. Not good for your health.

Great point. Aside from the obvious safety/ strut wear issues, I think that the exhaust would be bad. I used to motor-pace cars or motor bikes when I still raced (USCF road racing) and there is definitely a low-pressure behind a truck with this kind of profile.

I prefer to use the A/C.

R

roverdawg

Uh...You may want to check out TSB LA501-018. Basically, SOME LR3's have loose mountings on the rear upper tailgate lift. Can lead to expensive repairs if not tightened. If yours is loose, I would worry that the strain of driving while open may be enough to shear off the bolt. Check it first.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635