Dvd Player for a Disco I

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

MightyMax

Has anyone successfully installed or seen a Disco I with a dvd player and screen?

I am looking to install one and am weighing the options of putting in an in dash monitor/dvd player combo or installing a flip down monitor from the roof. My only concern with the latter is how to fit things around with the sunroof.

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Mightymax

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some people on the forum with disco 2's with sunroofs that also have a dvd installed in the roof. Should be fairly similar with a disco 1

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a necvox DVD player installed (by rosen). Here is a photo (I have a 2004 Discovery, but it should fit in the same location on a DI):

The price was a little over $2,000, but the picture and audio are fantastic. It also came with the wireless headphones, which my little boy loves. The installer did a very professional job, both on the actual install as well as matching the headliner perfectly. I have had DVDs playing for hours with no problems while we explore the backcountry of Utah. It has been one of the best modifications I have on my LR.

I have been looking into them again over the last few weeks (I want to add an in-dash player now, but it probably won't happen this year). I noticed the price on the overhead player (like mine) has dropped quite a bit since I had mine installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh - and I do have 2 sunroofs, the player is just in-between them.

There was originally an air/heat vent where the player is, but the installer ripped it out and sealed off the vent (so that the air was redirected to the other two headliner vents).

M

MightyMax

Thanks for the pic tmiller. The unit looks fantastic! That's pretty much what i'd like to do, but i would like to see if i can mount it more to the front of the vehicle so i can watch it without getting into the back seat. I take it from your post that you had yours professionally installed. Did you pay $2000 for the unit, the install or both?

I've been looking at in-dash units as well but they were a lot more pricey, ie: $1600 +.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price was for both the unit (and all parts needed) and the install.

You are right, I have to climb in the back to watch a DVD... But, I do have the SE7 so there are more seats available to watch it from.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its el cheapo but unless you really want one built in to your vehicle, you can buy ones that sit on your dash, center console, made by pioneer, sony, etc. for around $400, then you can place them where ever and use them in any vehicle...if you have A/V plugs on your stereo then you can play everything through your speakers....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635