EFI Light in relation to O2 sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

X

xlgrover

Hello All:
I am a newbie and just picked up a 1989 Range Rover. I have an EFI light on and wondered is this typically related to the 02 sensors? The truck is in pretty decent shape, but the P.O stated that it did cut off before when warm after long drives, at least twice, though restarted when it cooled. After reading on this model, it suggested this may be related to an ignition coil, or ignition module??

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could very well be the O2 sensors. If you have over 75,000 miles on them it wouldn't be a waste of money to replace both of them. Fortunately, to reset the light, you don't have to see the dealer. All you have to do is disconnect the battery and then reconnect it. The light will come back on in time if you have'nt solved the problem.

As to your other question, it seems to have been a fairly common problem on these vehicles that when the ignition module gets hot, the vehicle exhibits strange running symptoms or stops running completely. This is because the module is on the distributor where its near all the heat generated from the engine. In recognition of this problem, there was a module relocation kit available that moved the module out and away the distributor. However, I don't think that is the problem with your vehicle because it usually happens when you're stuck in traffic and there is a heat built-up under the hood. At highway speeds, you've got alot of air moving around.

Good luck with your 89 Rangie. I had one for 10 years and really liked it. Rust turned out to be the biggest problem, not mechanical issues.

X

xlgrover

Thanks Healy:
This seems like a fun vehicle. I used to own several Ford FSB's and a Mercedes ML. I ordered a Haynes manual from the UK. I cant wait to get greasy getting her back together.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM