Electronics Problem? Draining the Battery...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

deanz

Thanks....seems that mine takes quite a bit longer....

Maybe I should get it checked out, once I've got an accurate time measurement...

D

drivesafe

Hi folks, both the Nav ( LCD ) screen and the Parking Brake indicator light use insignificant amounts of power especially considering the amounts of power being consumed by on board computers that are kept powered up even after the vehicle is off and locked up.

I have both a 2005 D3 and a 2003 RR and so far I have not left the D3 for more than a few days but If I leave the RR for around 2 weeks, even though the RR’s battery is huge compered the D3’s, the RR’s battery goes flat.

This problem is now common to a few vehicles including the VW 4x4 which is lucky to last much over a week before it's battery goes flat.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What?

Anyone know if this is true? From what you're saying, if we leave the car at the airport for a couple weeks while on a trip, there's no starting it when we get back? That can't be. But, can't say I'm going to leave the truck unattended for that long to check....

L

lr305

I parked my LR3 in my garage for last 2 week since it is my 3rd car. When I cranked yesterday, I did not notice any weakness of power in alternator. Just my observation. I will check it out next time when I have long trip oversea next month.

D

drivesafe

As I posted, as yet, I have not left the D3 long enough to see just how long it can be left before the battery start to go flat.

Be interesting to see what others find.

M

mvg

Since the time I bought my 2005 LR3, I cannot leave the car unused for more than 2-3 days without the battery draining completely. I thought I had it finally figured out when I brought the car in for service.

I originally had the factory-installed Rosen A9 DVD player. Then one day while in the garage, I accidentally bumped the car lightly with my hip and then heard a short "tock" sound, which sounded like the car leveling itself as it normally does when parked over a period of time as the air in the suspension slowly bleeds. Immediately, I noticed a red flashing light in the left DVD dome light. This light comes from a numerical LED inside the dome light that lights up as the DVD goes through a boot-up process only after power has been completely disconnected from it, such as when the DVD fuse is removed and then reinstalled. I then noticed the lights on the DVD buttons turn on and remain on for 15 minutes. While monitoring it intermittently during the rest of the evening, the DVD button lights would come on randomly about every hour and remain on for 15 minutes.

LR's solution was to replace the DVD player with the Rosen G10. But that didn't work because the car would not start again after 2-3 days of unuse. I noticed the same syptoms again as the orginal DVD player when I inadvertently touched the car as I lightly pushed down on a moulding on the windshield.

Here's what I know so far:
1. The "tock" sound is always a precursor to the DVD light buttons coming on. I believe this comes randomly over time as the car levels itself while parked. After a period of time of inactivity, I think the leveling process can be prematurely triggered by slight nudges of the car.

2. The DVD light buttons stay on for about 15 minutes at a time. It may come on again in about an hour or so.

I am going to send the car back in for this same problem, but I would rather come in with suggestions than them experimenting with the car. Has anyone else had the same problem or symptoms?

M

mvg

I just used the car on Sunday and today, Monday, it will not start. It's going back to the shop ASAP.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electronic Problems-Drained Battery

FYI...After 4 incidents where my car wash guy left a door slightly adjar, and the car went dead, I reported this to the dealer. They replaced the battery, and I have had no problems since. Get the dealer to replace the battery asap, and it should help with the problem. PS...don't let your son play his playstation for too long without the engine running while camping. Ugh....

M

mvg

Thanks, jimbiram. I will let them change the battery. The first workorder showed a new car battery in their parts list. However, they decided to upgrade the DVD to the Rosen G10 instead of replacing the battery.

I just hope a new car battery isn't masking a bigger problem.

I've also been following the thread on the 2nd battery. Drivesafe from Australia says that the D3 electronics are designed to work with a calcium/lead calcium battery. Putting any other type of battery will create a "conflicting" situation. Furthermore, LRA is concerned that when batteries eventually have to be replaced a lot of people will have problems if they do not replace it with a similar calcium/lead calcium battery.

The thread offers an informative link on car batteries at http://www.landiss.com/battery.htm.

M

mvg

UPDATE: 10th day in the shop. Symptoms and problem still persists, but after numerous tests, they can't determine how to fix. I've told them six days ago that it might be the battery, as was the solution in a case in California and another in France. They say they cannot change the battery without justifying it to the LR Engineers. Today, they are running more tests on the battery. They think that as the battery charge slowly depletes and reaches a certain level, it faultily shuts down the battery.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9