Emergency Air Up DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was asked to write up how I did my Emergency air up system, everything needed I bought on Amazon, and I will include part numbers.

First order the following:
1 x Blue Nylon 12 Flexible Metric Tubing, 4mm ID, 6mm OD, 1mm Wall, 25' Length Part Number NFM-0855-25 $14.36 with Prime

1 x Heatshield Products 203122 HP Color Heat Sleeve Blue 7/16" ID x 25' Adjustable Heat Shield Sleeve Part number 203122 $18.33 with Prime

1 x 5 Pcs 1/8" Thread One Touch Push In Pneumatic Quick Connector for 6mm Tubing Part number s14070200am8392 $5.51 (Not Prime eligible)

4 x Control Devices Brass Tank Valve, 1/8" NPT Part Number TV12 $3.04/ea with Prime

4 x Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, Coupling, 1/8" x 1/8" Female Pipe Part number 56103-02 $3.76/ea

4 x SMC KR Series PBT Flame Resistant Push-to-Connect Tube Fitting, Union Tee, 6mm Tube OD, Black Part number KRT06-00 $5.71/ea with Prime

Total cost without tax or shipping = $88.24

Drink a beer and wait for everything to arrive, you can also get the 1/8 to 1/8 unions at home depot or lowes, but neither store (in my area) had metric fittings.

Once everything arrives you will need to choose to do this the hard way or easy way.

DRAIN THE AIR FROM YOUR SUSPENSION BEFORE DOING THIS, USE JACK STANDS, AND KEEP YOUR ARMS AND HANDS OUT OF THE WHEEL WELL WHILE DRAINING.

676w6a.jpg

The Hard Way:

Locate the airline going into the top of the strut (either blue or black), make a very nice cut in the air line roughly 3 or so inches above air strut, install the three way adapter onto your freshly cut air line, install new air line in third opening and roughly estimate the length you will need to run. Drill a hole for the schraeder valve to install to, put all that jazz together and you are done with that strut.

I say this is the hard way because unless you have tiny, child like hands with incredible hulk smash strength, this will be difficult for most people.

The Easy Way:

Remove the three top nuts on the strut with the vehicle jacked up, unbolt the nut holding the airline in the top of the strut and CAREFULLY remove it, there is a wee little metal piece under that nut that helps hold the airline in, be sure not to knock this off otherwise it will fall into the strut (there was hardly any tubing past this piece on mine which made me nervous). I say do this because it will not hurt to replace this piece while you have the strut out, in fact I would recommend to replace all the air lines while you are doing this.

2s8068p.jpg

zvpvm8.jpg

When choosing a location to mount your air valves to inflate keep in mind to keep it somewhere accessible, my front two are mounted on the grill, and my back 2 are mounted on the rear bumper (don't mount them on the face of your bumper like I did, you get rear ended lightly and it will deflate your rear).

Also, the rear will inflate quite fast as there is not much weight on the end, the front is a different story, I usually have to jack the front up to inflate as my compressor can not push that many psi (roughly 160 to 170psi per strut in front). So you may have to raise each front wheel off the ground to inflate, and use an air gauge.

Finally if you do end up using this, either remove fuses from under the hood for suspension or turn suspension off with your tool (GAP, Faultmate, Gun, etc..) and it should be noted this wont work if you have a popped strut, those are the parts you need above, you can also add a shutoff valve in line between valve block and three way (incase you have a leaky valve block), this set up will get you home from wherever you are so you can make repairs, it is ill advised to use this as a permanent solution for whatever illness your rover has, it still needs to be fixed.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you plumb'd into the air line of each strut and then joined 4 lines into one and routed it to your front grill, basically?

How does it function? Pretty easy? Where did you route all the extra air lines?

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you plumb'd into the air line of each strut and then joined 4 lines into one and routed it to your front grill, basically?

How does it function? Pretty easy? Where did you route all the extra air lines?

Negative, each air strut is independent, so the front driver side schraeder valve will inflate just the front driver side, so each corner is independent, there are 4 air up spots on my 3.

It is quite easy to air the suspension up as long as you have a separate compressor, i just get my air hose out and put my tire chuck on it, then walk to each corner and air it up (the front does need to be jacked up for my compressor, but not the rear). I can make a youtube video later today to demo.

on the front wheel wells, I routed the extra line under the plastic in the wheel well, towards the front, on the back coming off the air strut I went towards the center of the 3 then back around spare wheel.

If you look closely at the pictures, you will see on the front grill my air hose for general air hosing business, next to that you will see a wee little thing sticking up, that is the schraeder valve, there is another on the passenger side of the grill.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good work! I may PM you more about this later. I do have an air compressor mounted, and I have valves and hose, but it may not be the right valving. I bought stuff more to repair a ruptured line.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool and useful write up! Just wondering, since it's for emergencies only, why did you mount up the shrader valves permanently instead of maybe zip tying them out of the way in the engine bay or something? (not that they are in the way where they are)
Also, what is the "general air hosing business that you might do? Does it go to a compressor mounted under the hood?

Also, if I'm understanding it correctly, there's no check valve or anything right? This would not work if there was a rupture in the existing air line or something, is that correct?
Thanks for posting :)

Last edited:

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool and useful write up! Just wondering, since it's for emergencies only, why did you mount up the shrader valves permanently instead of maybe zip tying them out of the way in the engine bay or something? (not that they are in the way where they are)
Also, what is the "general air hosing business that you might do? Does it go to a compressor mounted under the hood?

Also, if I'm understanding it correctly, there's no check valve or anything right? This would not work if there was a rupture in the existing air line or something, is that correct?
Thanks for posting :)

I mounted them permanently because I felt it was worthy, they are not really noticeable, I was worried someone might deflate me (like my neighbors) but that has yet to happen, also, I had plans on replacing the grill anyway, and the back bumper (a Ryder truck tried to fight my 3 while it was parked, Ryder truck lost, and I was impressed), but generally my 3 is a work truck (for me at least) so I was not too concerned with looks. I did want to mount them in the engine bay like you said, but I was lazy...and drunk.

My general air hosing business is connect to the old amk air compressor for the suspension, when I first got it a indie shop convinced me it was dead, and wanted $1200 to install (in addition to buying the new one for $800) so being the cheap bastard I am I replaced it myself and was ****** someone tried to charge me that much for something that took 10 minutes in their parking lot (bought my gap tool later that week because of this experience), anyway just using it for inflating tires, beds, bike tires, etc. I have it mounted to a switch in cab, but I am planning to make a custom switch for the air compressor hose as it does not have a tank or pressure relief.

Nay on the check valves, when I first tried this I went cheap on the hose and used polyurethane hose, it melted while waiting one hot day, eventually figured out LR uses nylon hose and thinks have been great since, but you are correct if you blow an air line you are hosed (no pun), but, with the push fittings it's easily field reparable if you keep extra hose in you bag-o-tools

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice vid. Did I see a beer on your front bumper? ...and what kind of tires are those?

So, question to the larger community: how do the air lines look after 10 years? Should I have them changed due to wear and tear as a general precaution? I am considering changing out the shocks, valve blocks and lines going from valve blocks to shocks just as an "EAS Refresh" next month?

Good idea or completely unnecessary?

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice vid. Did I see a beer on your front bumper? ...and what kind of tires are those?

So, question to the larger community: how do the air lines look after 10 years? Should I have them changed due to wear and tear as a general precaution? I am considering changing out the shocks, valve blocks and lines going from valve blocks to shocks just as an "EAS Refresh" next month?

Good idea or completely unnecessary?

Sorry for the long time for the reply, absolutly that is a beer on the bumper, and the tires are from tirerecappers dot com, they are bf Goodrich retreads, $118 each, so far great tires.

My airlines looked pretty good when I did the emergency air up system, but I figured while it was apart I would change out the airlines....because.. .yolo (pretty sure everyone else who says that is dead).

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much did the new airlines run? You ended up going OE, I assume based on the reports you made earlier...correct?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635