Engine Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddvelin

Reaction score
After a couple of washes/scrubs most of the mud is out the exterior of my rig after my fun day at Tahuya.

425574_10150948165598611_1267860608_n.jpg

I popped the hood and found a light coating of dirt on a lot of the engine compartment. no clods or clumps.

If I pressure wash it, is there a risk of damaging connections or getting water where it shouldn't be?

Should I just lightly hose it off and not worry about a bit of dirt?

thanks for the tips!

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've washed my engine twice. The first time was a low pressure wash, the second time was a high pressure wash. The most important thing to remember is not to shoot water into the ECU enclosure. It's located in the same large black plastic housing that the battery is in. I've also read that it's best to do the wash while the engine is still running.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pressure wash mine a couple times a year. Never had any problems. I do not spray directly at the ecu enclosure or any of the electrical harnesses. Keeps the engine bay nice and clean (keeps the mechanic happy to work on it too, specially since I do my own work!!)

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a spray of simple green and a light hosing or very careful high pressure if you have to use that. It should hose off nicely. There are some areas you need to be particularly careful with, such as the battery/box fuse box. You don't want water going into the firewall behind the battery box, and it is not sealed in the back or bottom.

You can remove the battery box covers and carefully clean that stuff.

Some pictures under the battery box here