Engine hesitates, stumbles, and dies (black smoke included!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if ya'll would like to help me diagnose a problem my 93 RRC LWB is having:

1) I cleaned out the air filter, MAF, and throttle body a few days before this started happening

2) Very randomly, my engine will start to go off of the wall in the low RPM range (bounces up and down below 1,500) then starts to sink...lower...and lower...and then she finally dies after trying to sputter back into the 500 RPM range.

3). When I am parked or have the foot on the brake and rev the engine to about 3,000 to 4,000 RPM's I see black smoke coming out of the exhaust in the side mirror.

4). The EFI light has not been tripped, but am getting code 23 (low fuel pressure)

5) Stepper motor was replaced 20k miles ago, and I cleaned it about 8k miles ago.

6). Fuel filter was changed at about that time

7) I regularly give the engine a cleaning with seafoam through the intake (about half to three quarters of the bottle, and put the rest in the gas tank)

8). When I open the gas cap to fill her up when the reserve light comes on, air rushes into the tank as if it was holding a vacuum

9). The engine will work normally until it gets hot.

10). I replaced the O2 sensors about 8k miles ago.

So these are the symptoms that I could think of that might relate to the problem. Has anyone else ever had this experience? I would really appreciate any input at all, this is getting frustrating/embarrassing at stop lights

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Check fuel pressure, could be a bad fuel pump

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I get black smoke because of a bad pump?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on how the engine is running..

I have a 92 buick that was running poorly just the other day... I was thinking something stuck in the throttle body or a bad injector or similar... ended up being a bad water temp sensor.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is what my thinking was..I know it is a sensor of some sort because if I turn my rover on, it will idle normally. It is only when I drive around for 10 minutes with the engine hot that I get extremely rough idle, clouds of black smoke, and stalling. If i keep my foot on the brake and gas above 1k RPMs, it runs fine. Do you think it could be a water temp sensor?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be, figuring the year and the fact that the sensor is not to pricey I would give it a try.

Call Nathan at Discount British Parts, I bet he would know, not only that he will get you the best price on a new part.

502-396-7274

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just took a peek around my car and found that there was a pair of wires dangling from an electric connector...but seemed to have been disconnected from the actual sensor (the wires were soldered on). I don't quite know what this sensor is, but it is a bolt type sensor that screws into the left side (looking to the front of the vehicle) of the oil pan. Oil temp sender? Nathan said it might be a crankshaft position sensor, but I don't think we we're on the same page.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Pics are worth a 1000 words....

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_0701.jpg

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score