Engine Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

av8or

Reaction score
Engine Issue,,,,,no it wasn't

New guy to the forum and have an engine issue I'm trying to zero in on. Have 1999 Disco I with 127,000 miles. No major issues to date, thank goodness. However, recently the engine has developed a stumble at road speed, starts around 1500-1700 rpms. It idles okay with no apparent misses and revving the engine not under load results in a smooth rev up. I have replaced the spark plugs recently and we pulled them all for a look and nothing jumps out at you...appear normal.

I put a can of BG44K and it seemed to diminish the roughness sometimes, but I'm beginning to think it was my wishful thinking. I thought I'd wait until I had run a tank of fuel through the engine before doing it again. The mechanic who sells the stuff says not to over use. Also thought I'd use it with half a tank of fuel versus the nearly full tank of fuel I did the first time. Additives I'm never really sure about, but some people seem to sing BG's praises.

Anyway, I have been reading with great interest some of the comments from "joey, and beemer and others" about injectors and am beginning to think I've got at least one that is not working properly. I'm thinking its okay for idle and lower rpms, but under load it just isn't doing its job. Would appreciate insight. For injector servicing I found this site and wonder what you guys think.

http://www.injector-rehab.com/index.htm

Thanks,
Gibson
Newnan, GA

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you scanned it for any codes?

It may have pending codes w/out turning on the cel

Can you simulate it by holding the brake & giving it gas?

If so, you might have somebody unplug injectors while this is happening.
(Do not pull spark plug leads)

luck,greg

av8or

Reaction score
Mike, sorry for delayed response. Had to fly....people in ATL and JFK who were bit by the snow wanted to get home.

No codes...I have never had a check engine light through all this. Yes I've tried holding the brake, but doesn't seem to give the same response. Feels norm when I do that.

russburcham

Reaction score
this sounds similar to a problem I had w/ my 97 disco- no codes and diagnosis from dealer was dirty valves-- ended up to be BS!! Needless to say, I spent $$$$$ having them "clean" them out to no avail...then, I went on to the message boards and people seemed to point me in the direction of the speed sensor- it was (at the time) an $85- part from dealer- plugged it in (not an easy job) and my truck ran perfectly ever since. good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112