Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Not an easy decision here, but I may be deciding on 285s here. Thank you all for your input.
I also just wired the payment for 5 rims to Compomotive today and can't wait to get them (ordered them in silver, will post pix once wheels/tires are installed).

I am looking at TerraGrapplers vs. BF Goodrich T/A KO2 vs. Cooper Zeon LTZs?
Is there a known verdict on the above?
Any other choices?

Jaamrode, I noticed you ran 285 60R18 Nitto TerraGrapplers. How do you like them?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 0.05" gained. We are almost literally splitting hair, I think you would be happy with either sizes, they will both fit fine over the 8x18" rims available for the LR4. The 265s bulge out less than the 285s and have a smaller contact patch on the ground, which may yield fractionally better gas mileage and could be a plus - or a minus - off road, depending on the terrain you are negotiating.

oops. I was in a hurry using the tire size calculator and not even thinking about the results. It showed "vehicle raised by 1.25" .... millimeters, not inches! ;) Looking at the question now, yes, obviously the two sizes are almost identical vertical dimensions.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not an easy decision here, but I may be deciding on 285s here. Thank you all for your input.
I also just wired the payment for 5 rims to Compomotive today and can't wait to get them (ordered them in silver, will post pix once wheels/tires are installed).

I am looking at TerraGrapplers vs. BF Goodrich T/A KO2 vs. Cooper Zeon LTZs?
Is there a known verdict on the above?
Any other choices?

Jaamrode, I noticed you ran 285 60R18 Nitto TerraGrapplers. How do you like them?

Not all sizes in a given brand will offer E load range. Not everyone cares about a lower load range, but just keep that in mind. A BFG in 285/60x18 may only be load range D while I'm pretty sure the Nitto is an E in that size. But then the Nitto isn't made in 265/65x18 when I looked last and the BFG is E range in 265/65x18.
So, some differences in that aspect as well. The slightly squarer shape of the BFG 265/65 and it's stiffer sidewalls remove some of that floating feeling the lr3 would have on the wider tire with softer sidewalls.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The terra grapplers are ok. Not great in the snow. The 285s are too wide for the snow. The next set will probably be 265s. Has anybody tried the 255/70 duratracs or TA KO2 yet? They are 32.1" so a little modification mostly using IID tool to get rubbing out.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KO2 are too new to the market for an informed opinion I think, but the old BFGs T/A KOs set the standard for true, heavy duty A/T tires out there, so I am sure the new version will likely be even better, they have quite a reputation to live up to.

I have the newer Nitto Terra Grappler G2 (the LT version, as they are available both in XL load and LT load in the 285/60/18 size I picked) on my LR4 currently and they have been terrific so far, I highly recommend them if you off-road regularly. They are a bit noisy at high speed on pavement, but chances are the BFGs will be as well, it's a necessary evil with an aggressive A/T tread. So far they have been bulletproof off road and manage to feel secure and well planted on the road, wet or dry alike. Haven't tried them on the snow yet, and the way things are going around here, I may never try them on the rain again either, LOL. They are heavy tires (as most LTs are), so your gas mileage will definitely take a small hit.

I used to have the Cooper Zeon LTZs in that size on my old RRS, went through 3 sets actually. They were excellent as well and amazingly quiet when new - considering how aggressive they looked - but became quite noisy over time. Also, their sidewall is fairly "tender" for the sharp rocks we have in Death Valley, local mountains and deserts - the Coopers are the only tires in this lineup you cannot get with a LT / E-load rating (at least in the size you are considering.) I would buy them again if I didn't live in an areas full of sharp rocks such as our SoCal deserts.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The terra grapplers are ok. Not great in the snow. The 285s are too wide for the snow. The next set will probably be 265s. Has anybody tried the 255/70 duratracs or TA KO2 yet? They are 32.1" so a little modification mostly using IID tool to get rubbing out.

I wouldn't consider them (255/70) at all due to only being D load range.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A load range D is still more weight capacity than the original spec tires. I know there are situations where you can load a single tire significantly but those are brief moments. I'm just thinking that the narrower width would help in breaking trail through the snow and they are the original width of the OE tires. Another plus is they wouldn't rub on the frame quite as soon when turning. I just haven't seen anybody talk about running 255/70R18 and wondering why.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my lr3 is 8000 lbs +/- on big trips. I'm not going to push my luck with weaker sidewalls, etc. There are enough unforeseen variables so why leave such an easy one to chance.

255/70x18 is only about 1/4" radius larger so that's an interesting shape. With my mods I bet I could run snow chains on that tire due to narrow width ;)

Reaction score
I'm looking at 285/60R18 ZEON LTZ 120S XL BLK at Tread Depot - Umberto, is this the tire you were recommending?
Could you, or someone else, please explain the difference/terms used between these: "P-metric 285/60R18 (Extra Load, 120S) or the much heavier, 10-ply equivalent LT285/60R18 (123S)"?
Like most of us, I drive on paved concrete 95% of the time, but do want and need an option of going off road.
Also, shall I swap my original TPMS sensors onto my new 18 Compo wheels (given the function ok) or for some reason it makes more sense to buy new ones?

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/60/18's are as big as you can go without modifying the ride height. I ran both the Nitto Terra G's and the Cooper Zeon LTZ's people have mentioned below. They are both great and look nearly identical. I found the Coopers a little softer and stickier on road, so stayed with those after the free ones we got for Great Divide 2007 wore out. Never had any sidewall issues with them despite some pretty sharp rock conditions (per Umberto's comment), but maybe that was just good spotting. They were also awesome in the snow. We went through several feet of fresh powder off road with no issues whatsoever - not sure what the "too wide" comment is about there. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand, but I wouldn't go bigger than that size myself. Just no need to. Hope that helps. Good luck!
:driver:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM