Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those with Compo's or spacers and 265-65 18s...is there any problem with clearance between front of tire and the front of the wheel well? I noticed that with spacers and stock size tires, there's only about an inch gap, when the tires are turned so that they are at their closest. And that's on level ground.

I'm in the middle of a tire search, I think I might go with Hankook ATM again. Good tire, beats BFG in some tests. Quiet, long lasting. Not as sturdy of sidewall, but not as much of an issue here in Michigan. I like the Duratrac, but read a bunch of reviews that say it gets pretty loud after wearing a bit. Seems like the 265 65 would be awfully damned tight with the front wheel well however.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on the 265/65 as I went with the 265/60. But I will say that I had the Hankook Dynapro ATMs for about a year. But the 265/65R18 and 265/60R18 are P rated (4-ply sidewalls). (The Hankook ATMs do come in LT rated but not in those sizes. I just checked their website.) They felt great until in one weekend driving on a "green" trail I had one get damaged and one went flat. So I switched them out for the BFG KO2s with are LT tires. I used the KO2s in Moab and Sedona area this past two weeks (just got home.) They performed flawlessly and two of the trails had a lot of sharp rocks - too many to avoid. So I guess it depends on your needs. But I do a fair number of rocky trails and I am much more comfortable with the LT-class tire.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those with Compo's or spacers and 265-65 18s...is there any problem with clearance between front of tire and the front of the wheel well? I noticed that with spacers and stock size tires, there's only about an inch gap, when the tires are turned so that they are at their closest. And that's on level ground.

The wheel well liners are never a concern. The only rubbing you will get is the tire on the frame horns at full lock (particularly while reversing for some reason). As the tires wear, this becomes less pronounced.

But no rubbing on the plastic to worry about.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments. Dan, agreed on the stronger BFG sidewalls. We don't have much in the way of sharp rocks jutting out here in MI, so not a major concern. I was confused a little by the Hankook website, they have P rated sizes, and LT rated sizes, but up at the top they have the 265/60 and don't say whether it's P or LT. But it's a 114 load index where my old 265 60 are only 109.
I can say that I totally wish a trip to the Rockies was on my horizon, in which case I'd be happy to get the BFG. Who knows, still might.

Surfrider, do you have compos or spacers? When the wheels are turned, the spacers 'push' the front wheels forward about an inch (est.) farther than they'd normally be. Even with stock tires, I couldn't get two fingers between the space of the stock tires and the front fender. That's why I wondered about increasing the radius by .75", it would have to be super close. I might go with the 265 60 for peace of mind.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Hankooks on the LR3 18s with spacers in 265/65R18. Great tire. Light. Good off-road manners. Good on snow (took them to Quebec in the middle of winter two years ago by -30F held well). Silent enough.
Switched over to Compos and DuraTracs (same size, no spacers). No issues. Not as good on road. Better off-road. Became noisy after 35,000 miles.
I know most go to BFGs however I have been over all sorts of terrains and I like the peace of mind that I'm not adding a bunch of unsprung weight. LR4s as LR3s are pretty heavy and the hubs are a weak point so the least unsprung weight the better (also better handling, breaking...) Never felt the need for a 10ply rated tire but I'm not saying that you shouldn't go that route.
We all have our priorities.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info. How much tread was left on the duratracs at 35,000? I'm not sure on my ATMs exactly because I switch back and forth with Hakkapeliittas but I'd guess they have at least 55,000 to 60,000 with a lot of miles left. Very impressed by that. Seems BFG is either love them or hate them. The reviews are very split from my research.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking they're just a little under half.
Also driving over the speed rating for long periods of time might have affected the tire compound which might have lead to the noisier ride...

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Seems BFG is either love them or hate them. The reviews are very split from my research.

Are you researching the newer KO2 BFGs? There were certainly mixed reviews on the older KO tires, as their design was decades old (15+ years?). I have read nothing but glowing reviews about the new KO2 design. If I were anywhere else, they would be my first choice!

To answer your earlier question, I have Compos on 285/60 sand tires.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, the Hankooks I had were great tires. I did plenty of off road with them but had not done much "sharp rock" terrain. I've been doing more of that so when I had to replace two of them at the same time due to trail damage I decided to make the switch. As AxelR points out, the LT's are heavier. But having just completed a 1,500 mile road trip with them I didn't not notice the impact on MPG. (My loaded roof rack and all our luggage and gear in the back and the 120lbs of rock sliders I had just added probably had more impact on MPG than the tires.) The BFGs were not noticeably more noisy on the interstate. Again, there was enough wind noise from my rack to hide any tire noise.

Yes, the Hankook website is confusing. But from what I can tell they aren't consistent in how they make the Dynapros. Some sizes are P, some are LT. I had 265/60R18 which are P. And since you don't face a lot of sharp rock terrain they may be great for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72