Expedition Roof Rack Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the rack installed, is the sunroof still operable? Is the rack bottom solid or does it allow light into the three sunroofs?

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if the sunroof is still operable, but I would assume that it is since the Expedition Roof Racks for the Discovery allowed the sunroofs to still work (depending on the model of roof rack you purchased). As for the bottom of the rack, it is between 0.5 inch and 1 inch tubes that form a grid pattern - so light is allowed through the sunroofs.

F

Freeflytim

On some other website someone posted that the rack racks up a lot of noise when the sunroof is open... So I guess it does work.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have installed the cross bars on my roof, and even those are a little noisy.

K

KTMLC8

LR3 expedition rack does allow full use of sunroof. However when it is fully open anything over 15 mph creates a huge amount of noise. The rack has 4 or 5 flat extruded aluminum cross pieces from one side to the other so the bottom is not solid. These have slots in them to accomodate the included adjustable tie down eyelets. Still not sure if I would do it again if I had seen the rack in person. Nothing like that beefy rack for the Disco. Since Yakima has designed a tower that will fit into the factory rails in the roof I may have mine on the chopping block. If anyone is in the Dallas, Tx area and is interested in the Expedition Rack let me know.

G

grahamwelland

I have the expedition rack installed also. It's pretty noisy at the best of times. The biggest issue that I have is that whilst the sun roof operates, the rack creates both a lot of noise and also almost entirely restricts sunlight entering the front of the cabin.

Has anyone found a source for alternative attachements to the tie-downs? I want fix up a shovel & axe up there but I can't find anybody selling compatible fittings to the LR3 rack.

I'm seriously considering going to a more traditional rack myself. You need a couple of trim pieces for the front rails to put the vehicle back to stock after the expedition rack has been fitted.

Ditto: anyone in the Portland/Vancouver area want a great deal on an expedition rack??

K

KTMLC8

It will fit in a standard garage with the truck in access height only.

M

mjames007

Only if you put the suspension on low setting - locked. In that mode, the vehicle measures approx. 6 foot 8 inches high, a tight fit but just makes it. Just don’t forget to lower and lock.

C

conerly

Got the rack...

I just got the expedition rack after contemplating the yakima option. I just wanted to stick to the LR version. So far, road noise is not too bad. The sun roof open above 20mph is like an angry lion's roar! An easy trade for me, as I never have the roof open very long with our humidity in TN.
It seems to fit very well except at the back of the rack. Anyone have the same issue. There is about a quarter of an inch gap at the back of the rack against the rails. Let me know if there is a fix. I will keep you posted on the performance of the rack as time tells.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635