Expedition Roof Rack Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicmirror

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me the "real" weight capacity of this rack? It's supposed to be 114lbs, but I've read that it can handle more and the rating is simply for liability reasons.

Thanks!

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going with that rack but decided on the rover rack it seems much stronger look at there web site has about 6 people standing on one installed on a lr3

phurley

Reaction score
The "real" load is way more than 114lbs - more like 400 lbs. The G4s had full-sized spares, bikes, kayaks, and other gear up there during some interesting off-roading. Rack loads are rated primarily by the attachment points to the vehicle - in this case, 10 M8s for the entire rack.

BUT, the Expedition rack is miserably weak compared to any other rack I've had. :frown:
It can't really bear much weight as point-loads - do NOT go walking around on it without a sturdy rack floor - at least 2.5mm alum sheet or that chicken coop flooring.

Also, be careful using the upper bar with rachet ties or people hanging on it as counterweight.

It does look cool though.... :rolleyes:

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the Expedition Rack and I don't care for it really. It is alright and looks pretty good ( I saw on another forum that some guy had taken the top rail off of his Expedition rack and it looks pretty good and is probably quieter) but I think I am going to change it out with either the Front Runner or the Rover Racks. When you get up on the expedition you can really feel it flexing and I am not sure I would trust it with a tent (that I am sleeping in) or a lot of gear that I would need if I were going somewhere for a week or two.

Trevor

magicmirror

Reaction score
So it seems the "bomb proof" racks are the FrontRunner, Hannibal and Rover Rack. Do we know which one holds the most and is the best put together?

I want to put some fuel cans, Pelican cases and possibly a tent on top of whatever rack I get. I found a really good deal on the LR Expedition rack, which is why I was asking about its strength. It looks fine to me, but I'd like to know I can put these items on top and not sacrifice.

Thanks for the continued discussion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9