Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I test drove the 2011 LR4 last weekend and of course sat down to discuss some numbers with my sales guy. We plan on keeping the LR for a while so I know I am interested in an extended warranty. I have had them in the past for other cars and they have more than paid for themselves.

He told me that I had until 12K miles to purchase a 100K mile warranty (I would rather pay for it seperately instead of finance it in with the purchase of the car). Anyway, has anyone else purchased an extended warranty a good bit after they bought a car...up until 12K miles? I just want to be sure I am not getting screwed here in some way if I dont buy it at the time I buy my car.

Thanks for any advice!

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many times once a car is considered used the service contract cost more than on a new car. I got my Service Contract within a month of the purchase just to make sure it was considered a new car when I purchased it, you could probably push it out to a year or 12k miles and be OK, I personally hate putting anything off til tomorrow if I can do it today.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advisors told me I could do it any time up to the point the new car warranty was up. I don't know if there is a price difference purchasing one at the time the truck is new or when it is 47 months old.

I am personally getting one further down the road when I know fro sure it the truck is waht I want. There may be a new Land Rover out by then that I would like to have more. I didn't want to waste the money up front if I didn't need to. But rest assured, I will purchase an extended warranty if I plan on keeping the truck even 1 day beyond the new car warranty.

Rob

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the responses. Very good points. When I buy the car, I will make sure that 12K miles is legit and I wont be paying more than if I bought it when the car was new.

Crewcabrob..... That is another reason I am waiting to purchase the extended warranty....I want to make sure this is the car I plan on keeping for a while. I am sure it will be, but you never know and I would feel a lot better if I could have 6mos-1 year to truly decide.

Thanks again!

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UGAgirl97,

Do a search on this and the LR3 board as there are extensive posts on this topic that will give you better data points and things you will need to consider when buying a warranty.

Generally, yes, you need to get a warranty if you plan on keeping the truck longer than the base warranty as these trucks are exxxxxpensive to fix. Per my LR guy, there is a slight difference if you don't buy it initially but not much. He mentioned to me that they may give you a "discount" on the warranty but sometimes it's only because you left money on the table while buying the car. I vaguely remember the warranty quote for 7yrs/100k was around $4k.

That said, he suggested that I wait until 30k to get one and don't go past 36k as the price does go up a good amount after that. Obviously, the price of warranties may go up in general each year too. I've got 15k on my truck and will plan to buy a warranty at the end of next year, which is when I expect to hit 30k.

Last edited:

starrover

Reaction score
UGAgirl,

One more thought: when you purchase insurance for the new LR4, you should have the option of adding MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) as a part of your coverage. Ours is for 7 years or 100,000 miles with a $250 deductible. It includes almost everything mechanical that can fail, but excludes service and typical wear and tear parts like oil changes, tires, brake pads, etc.

It is really inexpensive - ours is $100/year and while your car is under manufacturer warranty it acts as a supplemental insurance.

The policy is more comprehensive than the original warranty and allows you to service your car at any repair shop you choose - including the dealer.

It can be added to any new or leased car that is less than 15 months old and has less than 15,000 miles.

Just wanted to let you know of alternatives to the dealer's extended warranty.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ougrad1.... Wow...you werent kidding about finding info on the LR3 board. What a wealth of information on their Extended Warranty thread. Needless to say, I took some notes that will be very useful come time to purchase the warranty. Thanks so much for alerting me to their boards. They really should copy that thread and post on all the boards.

Starrover.... You know, MBI was mentioned on the LR3 board, specifically with Geico insurance, which I currently use. That will definitely be my first contact. That sounds like the perfect solution for me b/c I have two mechanics here in town that work on LR's and have a great reputation and the LR dealership is 75-100 miles away from here. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know about it.

So so glad I posted this thread. I really have received some great advice! Thanks again everyone!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink