Extremely general questions (Newbie here)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fumples

Reaction score
Hello! I'm probably the newest person you could find on any vehicle forum. I'm looking for a solid first car to purchase. The Discovery (series I or II, no matter) caught my eye almost immediately due to the large interior and elevation from the ground. Upon consulting with my father about purchasing one, I was told that it is not worth it for two reasons: The company is not from the US (cars will be more scarce compared to, say, a regular sedan) and it is difficult to maintain as a starter car.

If I purchase a used Discovery from the late '90s (95-99), with maybe 90 to 110k miles already on it, should I expect it to constantly have it repaired and to pay premium prices for the parts in need of repair?

Keep in mind that this is my first car. After test driving a ton of vehicles, I've decided that SUVs are my preferred vehicle. Thank you!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't buy one, let your father help you pick out a vehicle that you can afford to drive and keep fixing all the way to the power house.

hawkster

Reaction score
This is not a suitable first vehicle as its costs can be high, it doesn't drive like a car and can be quite dangerous if driven as one. There is no shortage of parts however. This is good vehicle after your established financially and have driving experience, especially merging on the highway. For a 1st vehicle. If your going to go SUV, I would recommend a 1999-2001 jeep Cherokee XJ. I use my 2000 daily to drive to NYC and its tough as nails, yet cost hardly anything to maintain and operate. It is not as comfortable as the Discovery but its a great daily SUV. I believe that is why it was killed off and replaced by a real piece of junk (Jeep Liberty). I love my Disco 2 but the Disco is my family vehicle and not driven daily.

Disco4meplz

Reaction score
I would also recommend a regular Cherokee as they are more reliable than a grand Cherokee. The only thing a grand cherokee has an advantage on is the seat comfort but you can transplant a grand cherokee seat into a regular cherokee in less than an hour using only a wrench.

Go to a cherokee forum and get some information from them to help you out. either NAXJA, cherokee forum, or cherokee talk are good places to get more info, I'm also there alot.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep Cherokee, with no suspension modifications. With suspension mods the tires will cost more than the car. 1990's would be fine and 2 wheel drive preferred. You will be able to work on it. Land Rover? NO, you WILL get burned on the "head gasket needs fixin" and that's why it's for sale in the first place. People don't sell Land Rovers when they are working right. A 1995-1999 Land Rover will probably have more miles on it than your postulated 100K.

Last edited:

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
Ok Fumples,
Hopefully your Father didn't name you that...I have a 1997 Land Rover Discovery with about 169,000 miles on it. My brother was the first owner and he serviced it at the dealer. That being said, I got lucky. I have had to replace/repair drivelines, starter, suspension (with 2" Lift), steering stabilizer and tires. I need to replace the tie rods, bushings, sway bar bushings but that has been about it for the past 3 years of my ownership. No offense to the Jeep recommedations. I love Jeeps and learned to drive in a 65 CJ5. There are alot of parts and goodies for them too. I will not presume your financial situation but if you can and want to afford one, they are fun enjoyable to run with. There are alot of resources out there to help with repair advice. I have been told that I have a money pit but I spend less on my LR than I would on the payments of a newer vehicle. How reliable do you want your first vehicle? Do you live in an urban or rural area? Do you have access to other transportation if your LR fails and needs repairs? You know, like the bus. I would gladly have my LR and take the bus as needed. I also have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2008 Jeep Liberty and a 1989 Ford Festiva (Festiva was my first car and I keep it for emergencies and 35 mpg). Bottom line, what are you committed to, how much fun, which may translate to work on your part, are you up for...No matter what get what you want and enjoy what you get...Just my 24 cents worth...

Bj

Mike Perrin

Reaction score
Well I can add a little here as I am in exactly this kid's position from the Father's point of view. And I own/have owned a few Jeeps. The Jeep Cherokees utilize the 'unibody' construction which is absolutely the worst decision Jeep made in the last 35 years or so. Jeep has it's own series of issues and will require fixing as time goes on.

The Land Rovers, particularly the late 95's to 99's are a solid built vehicle and off the car lot will do what the stock Jeep Cherokee will never be able to do off road. I bought my daughter and son both an older model Rover each as a first car and yes they do have issues and yes they will likely have more than 110k miles on em when you find them but somebody will still be fixing them when the comparable Jeep has gone to the crusher.

After a reasonably solid car is located I think the question is more how mechanicaly minded is the father (will he help his son/daughter work on it) and does the son or daughter have the time to work on the vehicle with Dad? My son and duaghter have had some great times tinkering on cars and figuring out problems. They love the Land Rovers and have something 'the other kids don't have' . If Dad will help with repairs and Frumples really likes Land Rovers then I would encourage the purchase (with some research before purchasing of course). But if it is just an SUV in general you want then forget everything I have said:) Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo