Finally Installed a Heated Steering Wheel In My 2008 LR3 HSE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally did it! I successfully modified and installed a heated steering wheel into my 2008 LR3 HSE! This project took several weeks to do in total. Had to wait for several needed parts to arrive from Roverparts (eBay). By no means was this a cheap modification. But it was a lot of fun to do and is so worth it in my opinion.

I love my LR3 and since buying it in 2008, my only gripe about it was that it didn't come with a heated wheel. I always felt that adding a heated wheel would be simple. After all, the 2009 RRS came with it as an option and the wheel is identical to my LR3.

In addition to the heated steering wheel, I found out that I needed several more parts to make the heating wheel function to work such as the switch, clockspring, ECU and wire harnesses and connectors (which came with the ECU and steering wheel).

I also was able to get some instructional feedback from Disco3.co.uk under the LR4, in-car electronics section. I am thankful to several posters on that site who helped guide me throughout this ordeal.

Since I am only allowed 4 pictures to post here, I included a link to my photobucket album where I have more pics of this modification.

http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/vinnysca/LR3 Heated Steering Wheel Project/

My hands are now TOASTY, TOASTY, TOASTY!

Some pics below:

New clockspring (Note the 12 volt connector for the heated wheel at the 12 o'clock position)

DSC01119.jpg
[/IMG]

12 volt source connected into the side port of the new clockspring

DSC01126.jpg
[/IMG]

Heated wheel ECU which controls heating for the wheel

DSC01307.jpg
[/IMG]

All warm and toasty! NOTE the illuminated "on" indicator on the switch

DSC01319.jpg
[/IMG]

Cheers!

Vinny

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, very neat and detailed picture write up, great job! This is something I really want to do, how much did the parts cost you total? Did you talk to dealers to get the ecu and clockspring?

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very very NICE! I love to see this kind of thing... now if I only lived somewhere cold enough to warrant the swap! lol

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Job - Thanks for sharing/inspiring!

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, very neat and detailed picture write up, great job! This is something I really want to do, how much did the parts cost you total? Did you talk to dealers to get the ecu and clockspring?

The stealership wanted to charge me 800 bucks just for the clockspring! And they wanted to know the VIN for the car it was supposed to go into. So I didn't go that route because I'm sure that they would warn me about modifying something that might possibly void any warranty on the car, which is completely bogus.

I got the clockspring for 400 bucks on eBay. If you search eBay in the UK, and are very patient, something might eventually come up.

Vinny

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9