First Gremlin - Now I feel part of the club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually it is only a minor thing - at this point. No breakdown or mechanical issue. But it seems to be an electronic/audio thing and those can be a bugger (british car so I need to us british terminology.)

Intermittent, high pitch whine that lasts for 3-10 seconds. Happened a half dozen times during the 5 hours we were in the truck yesterday. It is a single, high note similar to what you hear if you are next to someone with a hearing aid that is not quite settled in their ear - but a fair bit louder. (Most of you are probably too young to know that that sounds like.) It could also sound like one of the notes in the warning tone for parking assist. But when parking assist warning goes off it seems like there are a bunch of tones. And this is not that loud.

I don't expect anyone else has had precisely this problem. But just in case I thought I would put it out there.

I have the truck in for service on Tuesday for installation of a couple of accessories and to fix the rear alpine roof shade that does not hook/stay shut. And to explain why I found a loose piece of heavy gauge wire tucked under the plastic of the center console. I just hope (@epiclr4) that when I get it back the AC works!

Dubroz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a high pitch tone like you describe that lasts 1 to 3 seconds. I thought it was a brake pad squeal but it happens when I don't hit the brakes. In the 3 weeks I've had with the new lr4 it has happened a half dozen times. Usually happens at speeds 10-20mph.

Dubroz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, and by the way ... my rear roof alpine shade doesn't latch either.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have also heard what you are describing. Wonder what it could be?

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of Land Rover ownership, bro!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would actually be a good thing if Dubroz, Soda and I are hear the same thing. If that is the case its more likely it would not be some random loose wire. I am going to try and do some data collection the next time it comes up. If I had the audio on and to what media/service. If I had other systems (i.e. AC) going or not. That sort of thing.

What models/trims do you guys have?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this only on 2014s? Sorry, I forget if all of you have a 2014. I have never heard it on my 2013.

ziggysanchez

Reaction score
I have the same sound in mine. Mines a 2014 lux. It did quit making the sound about a month ago for a couple days but during the time the sound was gone I got a charging system fault that disabled the ECO feature. The fault only lasted for a couple days and disappeared by itself. When the fault disappeared the sound returned.

I had the sound disappear again yesterday for a couple trips around town and the ECO feature had a fault and was automatically disabled at the same time. It could not be enabled by pressing ECO the button. When I started it this morning the fault was gone and the sound was back.

The other thing that I found was common about both of these faults with the sound disappearing was they both happened after driving in the rain and seemed to correct themselves when things had time to dry.

Just my observation. It will be raining here all day tomorrow so I'll have an opportunity see if it happens again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM