first time user

• Thread starter jackdog4@optonl
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jackdog4@optonl

97 disc fails to start,, no power to coil when it cranks over. checked with spark plug tester. this 97 disc has a coil pack ,i want to thank you for any help . john

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Mileage, last tune up... any other issues, battery voltage, when did it fail?

J

jackdog4@optonl

hi , thanks for answering. my mileage is 94,000. Voltage on batt. is 12.9v i now have a battery charger on because i'm trying to start the car so many times. code reader codes are p 300 ,mult cyc misfire p 560 system voltage malfunction & two other code p 1316/ p1179 i don't know what that stands for ? the last tune up was about 7 months ago ,wires ,plugs oil change ect...but i only put on about 1600 mile a year due to i only tow my boat and some local driving... the problem started two days ago.i went to a local boat store and when i came out the car wouldn't start.i tried many times,so i figured i flooded the car. i waited for about 2 hours my wife showed up.and said let me try.she laught & the car started. so i drove the car home.at first the car chug a little,but i figured it was clearing itself out.I parked it for the night & told my wife i was going to fill the tank with new gas & add some additeves.the car started ok,sounded ok went and filled up.Guess what, wouldn't start.after many tries i ask the gas mechanic. he played around and said i have no spark,i called my wife and she showed up and started the car???? so today the car parked in front won,t start for either of us lucky for me or i wouldn't hear the end of it

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a fuel pump or fuel relay issue to start with or possible battery issue.

But after checking spark as you can see from my signature you may have more issues than before.

You could also have a crank sensor that is bad... remember the rover lives on sensors alone.

I would start with check to see if the fuel pump comes on when the key is turned... then I would start checking sensors.

J

jackdog4@optonl

joey, i went out& replaced the batt.just in case because it was 4 years old. ha the car started again. i let it warm up, drove around some sounded fine again,then the second spin around it started spitting ,i just made it home i could hear something (relay i guess)from under the car .it make a noise the car would cut out,click again it would run. I can hear the fuel pump relay clicking with the key turn on. where is the crank relay located & how do i check it??? tanks again john

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The crank sensor, not relay is located in the picture via the link below.

If you are hearing a relay clicking when you drive I would check the fuel pump relay to make sure it isn't going bad. They can be taken apart and cleaned if not too bad.

Crankshaft position sensor (CKP Sensor)
The crankshaft position sensor is the most important
sensor on the engine. It is located in the left hand side
of the flywheel housing and uses a different thickness
of spacer for manual and automatic gearboxes. The
signal it produces informs the ECM:
- the engine is turning
- how fast the engine is turning
- which stage the engine is at in the cycle.
As there is no default strategy, failure of the
crankshaft sensor will result in the engine failing to
start. The fault is indicated by illumination of the
malfunction indicator light (MIL) on North American
specification vehicles.

www.cellularamps.com/css.jpg

J

jackdog4@optonl

hi, i removed the CKP & ordered the part,when i receive it I'll install & let you know how it worked out .... john

J

jackdog4@optonl

hi again, I was hoping for a better results but after installing the ckp the car is still not starting . whats next to check ????

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Since is isnt' the CKP, I would still look into the fuel pump or fuel pump relay... check fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

J

jackdog4@optonl

joey,i figured i could check the fuel pump & relay by replacing the fuel pump filter. So i removed the filter and turned the car key on. Gas flowed out like it should . i replaced with a new filter.the car started for about 20 second and just shunt down. i tried to start a few times .I wanted to see if i was getting a spark,so i put my tester on, remotely started the car and it started. the car warmed up 5 min went by still running. i took the car around the block felt good ,no misfired.i parked the car ,shut the car down,removed the tester & started the car again i used the car all day,no further problem. i want to thank you for all of your help.i just passed lesson 101 on land rover with your help thanks john z

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink