Fluid replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomaco1

Reaction score
I've searched and searched, but can't find a clear answer for the question of fluids.
I just got a 1985 L/R 90, 2.5 petrol,LT77 tranny, on the road, noticed the typical tranny problems, I figured I better change them all:

Tranny

Transfer case

Diffs

engine

It seems Redline is the brand of choice, but what weight should go in each? Please excuse my ignorance, I'm very new to this. My engine swap questions weren't very encouraging so I figure I better take care of what I got for a while.
2.5 gas w/ LT 77

danshepp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diffs are Filled with EP90
Gear box and transfer box also EP90
Engine Filled 15w40 or 10w40 or there is an engine oil that covers high millage/well used engine.
Radiator should be filled/diluted with sumer coolant/antifreeze the stuff for older vehicles as the newer stuff can do damage to the hoses! hope this helps?

tomaco1

Reaction score
Thanks

Made a huge difference. Smoother, quiter, smoother. Sycros are working better, or at least making less noise. I went with Redline MTL, and 75-90 the diffs and transfer case.
Thanks Again,
Tom

wally.aussie

Reaction score
lt77 tranny should be filled with dextron 2 auto tranny fluid, and 90 in the transfer box

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM