For all of you with a faulty WABCO ABS Modulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

capthook

Okay, call me crazy but I think now that I am on my 3rd Wabco ABS Modulator unit - they are obviously a piece of crap. So, I wrote this letter to Wabco, their email is [email protected] if anyone else wants to join me:

I am a long-time fan of the reliability of Wabco units, (kind of a lie there) but upon purchasing a 1999 Land Rover – was VERY unsatisfied with the ABS modulator unit(s) my vehicle has received over a short period of time at a cost of $1,700 US each. First time it happened (all my ABS lights came on, w/ TC & HDC) and they replaced my modulator (under warranty) with a ’03 unit. Now, here it is 2005 and I just had to replace the entire modulator, again – at a cost of $1,700 for the part which is just ridiculous. What happened Wabco? I’m on my 3rd ABS modulator here from you folks, and I’m just waiting for it to meet the same fate. The Bosch unit on my 89 Volvo STILL works, and I have never had a problem with it. Please look into this, this problem truly extends to nearly all Land Rover Discovery II vehicles, and owners are pretty ticked off having spent upwards of 50k on a truck that fails due to the Wabco ABS unit. Currently we are starting a campaign with safercar.gov (NHTSA) to recall all of the faulty ABS modulator units in all Land Rover Discovery II vehicles; but I think Wabco should stand up to the formidable task of making some of it’s best customers happy.

I have the old ABS modulator unit off of my Discovery (03) unit and NEED to have it rebuilt so I have an extra due to the problems this unit causes, and will (undoubtedly) again fail. But how can I do so? No one rebuilds the ABS modulator you sell, and I assume you folks would be the only ones who could perform this service for me, but I expect (after having replaced 2 of these damn things at a cost of $1,700 ea ) that you will perform the service at no cost to me. Obviously, I think it is in your best interest to make your customers happy and not face the extremely bad publicity this situation could cause for your firm

Regards,

To which I recieved this reply, which kinda angered me. They won't service these due to LR's contract agreement? Sounds like LR wants to keep selling Wabco's unreliable ABS modulators at a mark up to us, and doesn't want this GRAVY train to stop!

Their Letter:

Hello Kyle, happy new year!!!

Thank you for your E-Mail and this information, [highlight]unfortunately we are not allowed to service these parts, due to contract reasons with Land Rover, [/highlight]I have forwarded your concerns to our company in Europe,

Feel free to discuss with me on the Tel., my cell would work best: 248 961 3516

Regards, Norman

C

capthook

I share your thoughts

Norman Oha
WABCO North America Inc
2550 S Telegraph , Suite 105
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302
Tel:- (00)1 248 451 0329
Fax:- (00)1 248 451 0222

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:25 PM
To: Oha, Norman
Subject: RE: Wabco's ABS Products

Norman,

Sounds like LR wants to keep making $1,700 every time we take our truck into the shop to replace one of these. Obviously, I feel pretty stuck into the routine now of replacing my ABS modulator every 2-3 years (and 30k mi or so!) and would really like to have the 03 unit I just replaced rebuilt. It was having a 'shuttle valve elect. Failure' and before that the system came back with a 'shuttle valve stuck' error (same 2003 modulator, my 1st replacement)

Believe me, I knew what I was getting into when I bought one of these vehicles. What I didn't know is that this one part (the modulator) would be so overpriced and that the LR monopoly would even have a choke hold on the ability to rebuild one of these. What a waste. Obviously I've complained to LR (now Ford) but I hardly believe they will value my concern since I am not the only one but a face in the crowd of thousands (seriously) who continue to be gouged at the dealer for the replacement of this part.

This isn't about how LR's are made, it's about how Wabco (in Europe I assume?) made these particular ABS modulators found on Discovery II Land Rovers. It's prone to a very high rate of failure. I can prove it.

-K

C

capthook

Kyle, I found out the following, if the failure is shuttle valve related!, there is a repair kit for this available so in this failure case no need to exchange the modulator, this official WABCO kit comes with how to instructions and is available in Europe, you can get this kit from LR or from us, your dealer can install the kit, the WABCO number is 478 407 9262, let me know what you think, Regards, Norman

...Wow I hope he's right. Sure would be nice to repair the old one and have an extra spare!

-K

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72