Front axle 'clicking' after break job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

Thonglaw

I recently had a brake job done my my '96 Disco. It wasn't done by a Land Rover shop, they're backed up about 2 weeks. All 4 rotors were warped badly and were replaced. Only the rear pads needed replacing. The rotors are not official LR stock, but the pads are.

A day after the brakes were done I noticed a 'ticking' sound coming from the front axle on each rotation of the tire. The shop has checked it out and do not currently have an answer. Anyone else out there have any ideas?

I'm hoping it's not the axle or differential...

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you here a clicking when the brakes are not being pressed, or only when you are slowing down and pressing the brakes?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this clicking correlated to the speed of the tires/vehicle, or irregular? Is it a true metallic click or more of a squeak?

Mine did that after a rear spring replacement -- my lug nuts weren't as tight as they could've been. Start with the simple things like that, or obstructions between the pad and rotor. If it's not something simple, take it back to the shop that did the brakes and tell them to get familiar with the Rover brake system, on their dime.

Andy

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack up front wheels and check for vertical movement (hold wheel at 6 & 12 and try to wobble). Ticking sound can be result of not properly tightened hub nuts or not properly greased wheel bearings too.

That is in addition to checking lug nuts, mud shields being slightly bended or caliper housing nuts not tightened to full torque.

Also grease can produce funky clicking sound if used in swivel. At least mine does sometime. till it heats up :)

T

Thonglaw

The shop has identified the problem. It seems I'm not the only LR in the area to experience this. However, they don't have a solution.

The brake pad is actually rocking back and forth within the caliper causing the clicking noise. When you hit the brakes it goes away. They're working on a solution of some sort right now. I'll let you know what they come up with.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like they could have a bad source for parts in your area. Bummer!

Keep us posted.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats odd. My new EBC's brake pads has tad of play on front wheels, but they aint making any similar noise. Then again - i probably cant hear it over gearset's whine, front pinion bearings (?) grinding and all sort of other noises :)

I would think that simplest possible solution, if that is indeed the case, is to stick small spring in there. Same one as used on pins. But then its just me - i am cheap agnorant bastard.

D

discomike

Brake Clicking

You might want to check and make sure the brake pad retaining springs are positioned in the correct spot, if they aren't, your pads will move back and forth causing what your hearing.
Good luck,
Mike J.

M

mkronmal

Thonglaw said:
The shop has identified the problem. It seems I'm not the only LR in the area to experience this. However, they don't have a solution.

The brake pad is actually rocking back and forth within the caliper causing the clicking noise. When you hit the brakes it goes away. They're working on a solution of some sort right now. I'll let you know what they come up with.

I have this issue now. How was it resolved?

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo