Front Control Arm Catastrophic Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, my dealer when I was in recently told me to make sure and really wash the undercarriage of the truck after driving on winter roads. I think that's definitely a prudent recommendation in this case, he has a lot of rust in those pictures. Wish they would have given him the parts to really confirm what did happen. bummer!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they use salt on icy roads in Chicago?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that could contribute to the rust, obviously. I'd better be looking at mine, even though until early this year they sand in Seattle and don't use salt. Plus, I'm pressure-washing mud off my underside so much that it probably got any late-winter salt off my rig.

Still, sorry to hear about your wreck and thanks for the heads-up.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having lived in the rust belt 40 years, that really didn't look like a scary amount of rust . Which, of course, scares me. I do find it hard to believe that rust was the culprit though. More likely just a weak design...
Still can't figure how the right rear fell apart, having a whole car's worth of crumple zone to absorb the impact. Having not read Rogo's description of the incident I would have guessed that the right rear came apart to begin with and the left front blew apart on impact. Very strange, glad he's ok.

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does not look like that much rust.. to make that happened, salt just the normal Chicago white coat...
salt does not help , not enough though...

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, it's not what I think caused the issue, but wash that undercarriage! Hehe. He says, he believes the front left control arm snapped, causing him to lose control at 65mph roughly,was all over the place and ended up bouncing off a guard rail. I'm curious also as to why the right rear was horked when he hit front left.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, it's not what I think caused the issue, but wash that undercarriage! Hehe. He says, he believes the front left control arm snapped, causing him to lose control at 65mph roughly,was all over the place and ended up bouncing off a guard rail. I'm curious also as to why the right rear was horked when he hit front left.

I read through the thread on the other board, and my interpretation was that he believed it was the stress due to the uncontrolled weaving - the LR3 is a heavy beast!

I'm not sure I'd agree - would love to have seen a proper investigation into it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM