Front Control Arm Catastrophic Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's quite scary....and there are so many variables. People have reported so many different issues and problems here; some have manifested in a majority of LR3s, and some haven't. Driving habits and environment certainly play into it. For example, I'm still on my original front brake pads and I have 63,000 miles on my rig. On the other hand, I have had many of the common issues like the sunroof rail cracks, suspension faults, coolant sensor, etc.

I looked under my wheel well yesterday. No rust. ...but man that control arm connection to the bushing sure is flimsy!

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is pretty scary, especially that the LR3 has been perceived as the Land Rovers family vehicle.
We should really try to research this and if possible to determine whether that was an isolated accident or an incident happening due to an existing problem with the LR3.
Honestly that is the first time that I have heard of an accident like this with the LR3 , then again nobody would advertise problem with its own product...

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..just another thought...
I am sure if that would have happened to me..
All would be blamed on the oversized cooper tires..

brbanks1

Reaction score
An LR3....3 tons.... riding on what looks like 1"X .065 mild steel bushings.. hmmm sketch...but after looking at your pics it seems that the Control arms failed at impact.. I would definitely look into a rear suspension failure.. MY .02

LR3&SD

Reaction score
The tie rod end could've failed causing the loss of control. Then the impact with the guard rail pulled the control arm apart.

I know GM has had problems with tie rod ends on their HD trucks and the H2 during off roading. The tie rods look to be good enough for street use is all on the GMs.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tie rod end could've failed causing the loss of control. Then the impact with the guard rail pulled the control arm apart.

I know GM has had problems with tie rod ends on their HD trucks and the H2 during off roading. The tie rods look to be good enough for street use is all on the GMs.

While anything is possible, it seems that it was the front end that went first. As hard as it pulled left (then right, then left again -- I must have been yanking the steering wheel to the right), my feeling is that it was the front end that failed. The rear failing first may not have caused such a violent pull to the left...

However, as I sit here... the rear failing would explain some proceeding events.

About a mile before the accident, I entered the freeway on a curved ramp. As I made the clockwise turn, at a reasonable speed, the TC fired off -- hard, and the wheel spin indicator light was flashing. It was February in Chicago, but the road was dry.

I slowed and made a mental note and continued on once everything seemed normal. We all know with the electrickery these things have, flashing lights are not always a dire warning.

If the tie rod did fail, it would have caused the right rear to potentially lift off the ground in the long, *******-ramp turn.

As I said, about a mile later, hard pull left, and complete loss of control.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Just wanted to get an update out there, because we are very frustrated with Land Rover customer service. At this point, we do not have our truck back, and have no estimated date to expect it back.

I have to say that the parts crew at the Hoffman dealership have been very helpful in working with the delear side of things. They seem just as frustrated as we are. The body shop I think is ready to be done with me :)

As I said though, LR customer service has not been helpful. We have been working with George. Apparently the issue is that they can't ship our side curtain airbags. They are apparently sitting in a warehouse in Pennsylvania. We learn more of the story every day only through being exceedingly pushy. George has not been forthcoming with information. [In fact, as an aside, when George was out of the office one day - a day that he was supposed to call us - we contacted his peer who told us that the airbags were "back ordered," when we in fact knew that they were in the warehouse. Trying to blow us off I suppose :mad: ...]

I understand supply chain issues and expected some, but this is too much. It has been 12 weeks since the accident, most spent waiting for parts.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! Plus, I want to get the story out there because people need to be aware of these issues. We are beyond frustrated! Thanks!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Is this being covered by warranty or insurance?

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand supply chain issues and expected some, but this is too much. It has been 12 weeks since the accident, most spent waiting for parts.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! Plus, I want to get the story out there because people need to be aware of these issues. We are beyond frustrated! Thanks!

Dude, 12 weeks is REDONKULOUS (my kids taught me that)! I'd be looking for some kind of compensation. Almost would have been better to total the vehicle and start over.

How can air bags be back ordered? Are people using that many air bags or did LR's only supplier go out of business?

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is interesting that this has come up. I just went in two weeks ago to have the rear lower control arm bushings replaced for the second time. The portion of the control are that holds the bushing was so badly worn that the new bushing just fell out, and they had to replace the whole control arms. The LR extended warranty company sent an inspector out to check it out. The inspector determined that the cause was corrosion, and so they would not cover the cost of the control arms. They ended up covering the bushings and the labor for them, but not the control arms themselves, which I had to pay for myself. Since the control arms cost over $300 for the pair, and since they come with the bushings installed already, the net cost to me was around $250 for the control arms, plus the $100 deductible.

This was the first incident that LRMV had encountered like this, and they had no explanation either. So...word of warning, have the control arm bushings and control arms checked on every service.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99