Front Diff/driveshaft leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heading north to Pittsburgh next week and took the plates off to change the oil and saw this. I havent felt or heard anything different driving and the top of the skid wasnt wet. I did see maybe where 6 drops at some point fell on it but looked old.

Is this a normal look for yinz? Is this sign of front diff failure or something to do with the driveshaft?

Attachments

• 20150107_173324.jpg
    20150107_173324.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 39

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driveshaft does not hold any oil . It is a Cv joint type shaft, that is packed with very heavy grease.Your leak looks from the picture , like a pinion bearing shaft seal inside a differential.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks thorgal, a quick search of the bearing pinion shaft seal replacement brought some good info.

I'm thinking I will be good for this trip without addressing it???

From the looks of it, it's is something I could tackle - but I will check on my extended warranty upon my return.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want a complete diff meltdown, from lock of fluid.I don't know ,how long have you had that leak, but it is not small.Eventually , you WILL run out of fluid and douse major diff damage , that could seize and rip apart driveshaft and evan a T-case components.I have seen a diff meltdown on Disco 2 , from a lock of fluid , on the way to Winter Romp, two years ago.
I don't know , how you are, but knowing me, I would top up the fluid in case any long journey .

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again!

I didn't notice this leak last oil change 7500 miles ago, so it has to be somewhat recent. The leak is certainly there and without any fresh drips on the skid, it doesn't seem too bad - but a leak is a leak!

I may try to squeeze a fluid change in as from what I've read it doesn't seem that I can "top" off with fluid but have to put in the .61 liters. I'll just need to get a fluid transfer pump to get to the fill hole but seems easy enough.

Like you said, I don't want to have a catastrophic diff failure...

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, changed the diff oil and I still had about the proper amount in there. The drain plug magnet didn't have anything concerning attached. I am at 75,000 miles now and after seeing this come out, I think I will change it more frequently than recommended after I get the issue resolved after the trip.

The front diff oil change was straightforward and easy... considering I've never done one before. I purchased a fluid transfer pump yesterday in preparation, but was not needed. When I get to Pittsburgh, I will drop the skids and see what kind of leakage I have. I drove around tonight for a short while and didn't have any leakage. From my quick research, it didn't seem like you could just top off the fluid but as I was at the end of the bottle, the oil started coming back out of the fill hole. I think it is safe to say that if you need to add without draining, add till it starts coming back out.

Attachments

• 20150113_171231.jpg
    20150113_171231.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20150113_173324.jpg
    20150113_173324.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 36
  • 20150113_175640.jpg
    20150113_175640.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 31

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That diff oil looks awfully muddy. Is it possible water got into your diff?

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was muddy looking for sure. Good news is, I made it to Pittsburgh without any issues.

I haven't waded deep waters but who knows what happened before I owned it.

When I get back, I will look at the the vent/breather mod I've ran across before on this forum.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vent/breather MOD?

If you mean the revised front diff breather end cap that changed via TSB, you should definitely look into it. It probably costs $20 and takes 2 minutes to "snip" off the old one and press on the new one.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good suggestion - I did this "mod" last week and I could not blow though the old one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635