front end "clunk"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is driving me completely nuts now. I have been under this thing for a total of 3 hours and I cannot find whats loose. Over bumpy roads there's a clunk like when a control arm bushing is bad. It's a 2000 disco with ace and a 2" spacer lift. I checked all the bolts grabbed hold of everything and shook, yanked and went absolutely ape **** pulling on everything on the ground and off. everything feels tight. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what it may be? Anyone have this problem before and if so what was the fix? I'm at wits end and I'm about to just start replacing stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Joe

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this helps but when my transmission mounts went out on my Beamer they would only clunk when the automatic tranny shifted to second. I would also check my drive line from the transfer case to see if there is any binding when it flexes you said that there is a 2" lift. Also check all u-joint through out to make sure there is no binding when you go over a rough road. How about the muffler. Where do you hear the sound. left or right

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
front left side (driver) is where it's coming from. when I installed the lift I checked for binding and I had none. I also checked motor mounts and trany mounts and they are still good. Recently I checked the props for play solely because of the lift. Thanks though.

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be your shocks topping out? Stock shocks don't take much lift before their maxed out. If the clunk occurs during upward suspension travel, it's a sure bet:)

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be your shocks topping out? Stock shocks don't take much lift before their maxed out. If the clunk occurs during upward suspension travel, it's a sure bet:)

I did a spacer lift though, I didn't change the length of the shock by adding the spacers it just moves the diffs further away from the body. It may have changed the symmetry a little like maybe a degree or 2 but I don't "Think" enough to make the shock have noise (notice I said think)
I'm not getting any vibrations and it doesn't "shift" or "slide" when I'm making turns. It just clunks around when I hit bumps. I'm going back under it in a little while to have another look. thanks again fellas. Joe

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could always remove the shock temporarily to see if the clunk goes away. Shock bushings can wear and make a clunking noise.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could always remove the shock temporarily to see if the clunk goes away. Shock bushings can wear and make a clunking noise.

Thats a good idea. I think while I do that I am also going to shim it to get the symetry back. Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo