Front end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kweakley

Reaction score
I have a 99 Discovery 1 SD with 135k and Im getting pinging noise from the from end. Would this be the bearing. I know that passenger front side needs replacement. Would this assumption be correct. Im guessing this is something I couldnt do myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front end noise

I have a 99 Discovery 1 SD with 135k and Im getting pinging noise from the from end. Would this be the bearing. I know that passenger front side needs replacement. Would this assumption be correct. Im guessing this is something I couldnt do myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Pinging noise, is it in rhythm with the engine rpm or vehicle speed?
Is it only when you turn? Brake? In 4x4? Is it worse under load?
What grade of fuel are you using? Last tune up? Fuel pressure at rail?
Is the check engine light on?

Please let us know……..Chongo :bandit:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bearings don't ping, be a lot more specific as to the discription of the noise, the location and when does it happen?

kweakley

Reaction score
The pinging noise occurs when I brake and when I acclerate more so when I acclerate but can hear it when I turn in either direction has a hard vibration that is coming from the front drivers side. Other than that theres is not much. Its been tuned up in last year and I dont haul or use 4x4. I havent done any work to front end over 2yrs I owned vehicle.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be a dry CV joint - check the lube level in both your front swivel balls.
check your ujoints as well.

And do it really soon.

You have no 4x4 option, it's all wheel drive, hi/lo, locked center diff in transfer case.

And you should excercise all of it at least one a month or the linkage might/will seize
up. - don't lock the CDL & drive around on pavement!!

luck,greg

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635