Frustrated LR owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcakes

Reaction score
I need a good mechanic. Have been to the dealer several times to find out why checked engine light is on in my Discovery II (2000) is, and all they can tell is we don't know until we take it apart after they charged me $200 for a diagnostic check. The first time I paid them $3500 to fix it, a day later the check engine light was coming off and on (it wouldn't come on when I would take it in to them), so now it's just on, and they want to charge me for what they don't know. I live in Baltimore, MD. Does anyone know a reputable mechanic?

Mannyad

Reaction score
I had that kind of problem also with my '97 Disco 1. My mechanic told me to change the catalytic converter and since then (more than a year ago) it never reappeared again. I cannot refer you to my mechanic unfortunately because we are located accross the pacific. Good luck!

Tater770

Reaction score
Hello,
Sorry for your troubles. I think this may actually be a little more simple issue than believed. I work at advance auto parts and people come in her constantly with these kinds of issues. the number thing that i tell them is to start small and work your way up. only a few things come to mind when i read your post. 1 you must fill the engine with premium gasoline from a reputable gas station. This will prevent two things... Eliminate the possibility of getting water in your gas ( causes misfires and corroded plugs) 2. Regular gas will cause pinging (the mysterious knocking sound you hear) The gasoline is pre-detonating inside the cylinder before it should causing poor performance and that annoying knocking sound. As for the oil pressure problem it is either going to be the oil pressure sensor/sender or it could be a short or loose connection somewhere.There is no way your oil pump could go bad that quickly. Sorry to say but it sounds like these people have been taking advantage of you. Hope this helps! Happy New Year to you as well!

tcakes

Reaction score
thanks for the info, and I am putting premium gas in my truck, but I need a good mechanic, so if anyone know of one in the Baltimore or surrounding areas in Maryland, please let me know. Thanks

tcakes

Reaction score
Tater 770 - I think you are getting me confused with another post, because I didn't talk about a knocking sound or oil pressure, but thanks for the info

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you tell me what codes you are getting? Most auto parts stores will give you the codes for free... or just buy a $50 OBDII scanner and let us know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112