Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adgunn94

Reaction score
Greetings:

I was wondering what mileage benifits you guys have gotten from your Rovers?

I got my 94 Disco bone stock 2 weeks ago, I figured the milage when I first filled it up and it was a respectable 15.2. I was content with that, full time 4x4 and as areodynamic as a shoe box, its pretty good for me. My 96 Dodge Ram got 13 on a good day. Since I got the Disco Ive done the following upgrades:

K&N Style intake from autozone
Exhaust upgrade, 16" glasspack, removed resonator, Echo Chamber- now it sounds like a V8
Removed Factory mechanical fan, The fanclutch was bad, and i didnt want to spend 120$ to replace it. Got a 16" electric fan wired to the igniton.

On my way to get the new fan, I travled 56 miles round-trip, and when I filled up the tank I used 2.5 gal. that was all i could squeeze into the tank.

Acdcording to my figures 22.4 mpg??? Am I smoking Crack?? Didnt think a rover would get that milage....:wink:

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22 miles to the gallon thats pretty good. I get about 15 with both of mine 97 Disco se7 / 97 Range Rover se. I've ran the gas tank almost dry and put in supreme unleaded to see if that would help. Not a thing just more expensive to fill up. So went back to regular. I will check into switching my air flow system to see if that helps. Good luck

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
22.4 is possible, until the ECU figures out you are cheating it... then it will go back to normal.

After headers and freeflow exhaust I made a trip to Atlanta 8 hours down and 8 hours back and averaged 20 mpg doing 75 mph.... 2 weeks later it went back to 15 - 16 again... hasn't gone back up yet.

madball

Reaction score
I wish I could get 22mpg I'm right at 15mpg myself. I love my 97' Diso but I'm going to put it up next summer and save it for the winter months and use my VW Cabriolet for the summer months. That's 30mpg there!

SteezTight

Reaction score
Could you put up some pics of your new intake system, im lookin at doin the same to mine. I want to build a makeshift cold air intake type system for mine.

rctaylor

Reaction score
My MPG

When I first got my 1999 DII several months ago, stock, running premium, I got 17.4 on a freeway driving trip. Around town it seems it has usually hovered around 12.4. Combination of a little freeway driving and mostly around town I hover around 14 MPG. Recently I got a tune up. Put in dealer spark plugs, stock wires. Being careful, with all around town driving, no freeway driving, on my last tank I got 13.4 after the tune up. I'm skeptical that changing out the muffler to a Flowmaster type will make any difference in MPG. The muffler shop says maybe .5 to1 MPG. I'm driving less careful this tank of gas and waiting to see if it affects MPG at all. I'll let you knowl.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Changing the muffler will not do any good, without an ECU upgrade... the rover will figure it out and compensate to correct for any thing it doesn't think is factory.

adgunn94

Reaction score
well joey,

you were right as usual. i got my 22mpg one time. after that im back to 14-15 or so. im not gonna complain though. i never buy vehicles for economy. i work in the oilfield. = job security

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just remember for Less than $1500 you should be able to upgrade the ECU and get decent fuel economy and still go anywhere... I know it is my next upgrade, hopefully before winter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo