Future LR Models in US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aj22

Reaction score

Yuk! Does competing with the X5 mean the third row will be all but useless? To me, the LR4 competes more with the Mercedes GL rather than ML. And while the GL is huge, I didn't think it offered appreciably more utility than the LR4. I hope the final version retains some of the styling cues and usability of the current model. The weight loss will be welcome though.

Triumph

Reaction score
Yuk! Does competing with the X5 mean the third row will be all but useless? To me, the LR4 competes more with the Mercedes GL rather than ML. And while the GL is huge, I didn't think it offered appreciably more utility than the LR4. I hope the final version retains some of the styling cues and usability of the current model. The weight loss will be welcome though.

The prototype interior of the Discovery 5 I sat in still had a very usable 3rd row. Definitely more leg room than an X5, but maybe slightly less than an LR4. It didn't seem quite so high either. Less of a stadium seating effect than the LR4.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all the Discovery doom and gloom is true, hopefully the soon-to-be re-introduced Defender will fill the old Discovery gap.

I will say, it still makes zero sense from a vehicle price point. The X5 (have owned a 2012 and 2014) really would be more akin to the RRS. You can still spec out a fully loaded X5 close to FFRR price, not to mention the upcoming X5M will easily be north of $100k.

The only thing I can envision is the new Defender is going to focus on the off-road and utility. Especially if they have varying trim levels. I simply see no point in an ultra high end lux Discovery when it's already nipping on the heels of it's own brand (RRS).

It's going to be an interesting (hopefully not disappointing) upcoming two years.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really think it's going to just look like a bigger version of the Discovery Sport. If you look at BMW or Mercedes, they have a line of various sized SUVs that all kind of look similar, just different sizes.

I bet that's the future of the Discovery "family".

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The only way the LR4 compares to the GL is by way of interior cargo volume. They are even not on the same page in terms of luxury features (GL wins by far) or 4x4 capability (LR by far)

The Discovery "Sport" which will be a tighter package will, and should, be the competitor for the X5 but again, it won't even come close in terms of the available features/options. So in that sense, it won't compete equally except for those buyers looking at mostly base model builds and purely size and driving feel comparisons.

I too hope that the larger/standard Discovery model will retain if not increase, some of the utilitarian features and the same or larger cargo volume, not just in length or width but also the height.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say, it still makes zero sense from a vehicle price point. The X5 (have owned a 2012 and 2014) really would be more akin to the RRS. You can still spec out a fully loaded X5 close to FFRR price,...

As it should be. The BMW X5 is a fully featured vehicle at the top of the line and thus will end up near the full size RR pricing, near, but not past as RR takes it up a notch with the SC models, although in that area I guess an x5M steps up too.

The bmw features are though at that level. No RR Sport has the same level of creature features such as 20+ multi functional seats, massaging, ventilated, etc. or other things like night vision and heads up display.

For several years now, really since Land Rover left the hands of BMW, the brand has been more and more like "how little can we actually have in these and still charge a premium without anyone noticing..."

Consider this: In 2006 when the RR was still a BMW influenced vehicle, the seats still had similar multi-articulating option and an adjustable head rest. After Ford took over the RR seats went to sh-t. So did the Discovery but even worse. My 2004 Disco has lumbar! The LR3 had ZERO lumbar adjustment during 2005 and 06. In 07 it became a laughable crap 1 direction adjustment, no better than my 04 Disco. And until the latest model lr3 or lr4 sometime the headrest remained un-adjustable at all where basically every other vehicle on the planet had them.
This is total CRAP design, well, complete lack of design.

After having 3 Discovery models and one SC full size, I already own my last modern LR..... at this point it won't matter if the LR5 comes with a TDI or anything. I know it will be too much trouble to be worth it so I'll be looking to Land Cruiser or G-wagon.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I was commenting mostly on the claim that the Discovery was going to aim for the X5 market. The two aren't in the same zip code, hell they are not even on the same planet in terms of luxury, performance, and sophistication. The electronics / interfaces are worlds apart as well.

As a side note, it is interesting that BMW are going for an even larger 3 row X7. That thing is going to be a tank!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Discovery "Sport" which will be a tighter package will, and should, be the competitor for the X5 but again, it won't even come close in terms of the available features/options. So in that sense, it won't compete equally except for those buyers looking at mostly base model builds and purely size and driving feel comparisons.

Nah, the Disco Sport is a direct replacement for the LR2, very much a compact crossover rather than a mid size SUV. As such, it would compare more fairly to an X3 or a GLK, not to a swankier X5 or ML-class (the new Range Rover Sport is closer in size, price and "philosophy" to those vehicles.) They all start a hair under 40 grands and all can be loaded to the gills with options. Compared to those compact crossovers, I think the Disco Sport will make an appealing package, even though it cannot be fitted with a more powerful V6 or a thrifty diesel like some of those German models, it does offer unique features that are either extra cost (4WD) or not available (3rd row seating) in GLK and X3. Those models are nice inside, but I wouldn't call them luxurious either and I kinda like the utilitarian but classy interior of the Disco Sport myself, I don't find it cheap like the LR2 used to be. I think the Disco Sport is going to do just fine against its intended competition. The one thing it lacks is a higher tech engine and a diesel option, but those will hopefully come soon to North America.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, the Disco Sport is a direct replacement for the LR2, very much a compact crossover rather than a mid size SUV. As such, it would compare more fairly to an X3 or a GLK, not to a swankier X5 or ML-class (the new Range Rover Sport is closer in size, price and "philosophy" to those vehicles.)

It looked to me to be a lot bigger than the LR2. I think the Evoque is more like an overpriced LR2.

They're all SH-T. I've just about had enough with what that company is doing.

Used to be Mini had a hard top and soft top but now, what, like 20 different variants. Same with BMW. Variants of Z,3,5,6,7 weren't enough. Then x5. then x3, 1,2,4 and x6. Next up the x7.

I think the full size RR is lovely but yesterday walked by a 90's classic and remembered how I really prefer that huge tall greenhouse cabin with such wonderful views out while rolling through the landscape. That is aesthetic is quickly disappearing from all the models and it was the single highest design feature that brought me into the brand.

These new models look identical to the new Ford suvs.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM