Future LR Models in US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Really don't want a diesel. Never bought one when I lived in Europe.
The reason to have a Diesel engine is because you are in a country that has a poor economy or where cars and trucks are taxed based on their engine...
There's no real upside to a diesel besides for trucking companies.
I'd be totally happy with a supercharged or turbocharged V6 engine using gazoline not diesel. We'd be getting low end torque and good mpg.

I think you are missing the facts. The current LR4 already has such an engine and it's mpg is not what I would call "good". A turbo version will not be much better however the diesel version provides about 30-50% better fuel economy. A 4 cylinder tdi would be perfect if designed for torque. Such an engine is powering the 2014 Mercedes Sprinter vans to mid-upper 20's fuel economy and that's with a huge frontal area.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are missing the facts. The current LR4 already has such an engine and it's mpg is not what I would call "good". A turbo version will not be much better however the diesel version provides about 30-50% better fuel economy. A 4 cylinder tdi would be perfect if designed for torque. Such an engine is powering the 2014 Mercedes Sprinter vans to mid-upper 20's fuel economy and that's with a huge frontal area.

Can't totally disagree with you however I don't buy a luxury vehicle to feel like I drive a tractor. And the Sprinter is all but comparable to a LR4. However it definitely is a utilitarian van as I had stated. You buy diesel for commercial use or because you live in a high tax rate country (or you don't have enough cash and will keep your car/ truck for years).
Diesel engine means higher MSRP and more expensive fill ups. It takes a lot of miles to make sense.
The day I'll really wanna worry about gas and the prices I'll get a tesla or something like that ;)

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a few commercial diesel trucks and let me tell you that those vehicles are made to carry heavy loads high torque low horsepower even with turbos. Transmission has a lot to do with how it drives don't think they will make a LR4 to carry 15000lbs that said I do think you can get a lot more out of a diesel engine V8 then your V6. Remember car manufacturer want to sell as many vehicles as it can and with CARB laws in California they won't build a lot of models that they can sell fine in South Africa but its illegal to sell in California. Its a business first of all

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AxeIR there is no upside to a diesel your kidding right? Massive low end torque and far better gss milage. A supercharger does not give you that.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AxeIR there is no upside to a diesel your kidding right? Massive low end torque and far better gss milage. A supercharger does not give you that.

I got a thing against diesel as you can probably read in my posts.
Again I personally could care less for a diesel (especially in this country where gas is still cheaper than 15 years ago in Europe where I used to be driving gas thirsty BMWs...). Also I do prefer turbo to supercharger.
Personal taste and experience.
Doing just fine with my big gas guzzling V8 right now. After this I'll probably head on over to MB and get a G-Klasse.
Not hating just stating my preference ;)

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a side note baja racers went desiel, less stops. In Las Vegas on drag night at the track I saw a twin turbo desiel full cab 4wheel drive nearly beat a ZR1 corvette. 116 mpg 12 sec quarter mile.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not much of a desiel person but for a 6000 lbs SUV I would buy one if it was an option, I do alot of long trips and mountain driving

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a thing against diesel as you can probably read in my posts.
Again I personally could care less for a diesel (especially in this country where gas is still cheaper than 15 years ago in Europe where I used to be driving gas thirsty BMWs...). Also I do prefer turbo to supercharger.
Personal taste and experience.
Doing just fine with my big gas guzzling V8 right now. After this I'll probably head on over to MB and get a G-Klasse.
Not hating just stating my preference ;)

No, I think you miss the reason most overlanding types like diesel. For me it's the range. You are being terribly short narrow minded to think this fuel discussion has anything to do with "$". Nobody who can afford to spend $60k, $80k, $100k+ cares so much about the cost as you bring up several times.

The range of a stock lr3 is way too short for my preferences so I more than doubled it by putting in a second tank bringing my total to 53 US gallons.

The added benefit of how nice the modern diesel engines run and the torque far outweighs any of the concerns you mentioned.

Regarding the G, if I could buy a new G with diesel set up, I wouldn't even have been posting in this thread any longer.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jwest how much was the tank? Total cost of install? I'm thinking that would be one of my final mods

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72