Future LR Models in US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same wheel/tire set up. Rubbing is very slight and will go away with time. I have a stock suspension and use access mode daily without any problems. As for the spare tire, you can fit it under the truck after removing heat shield and deflating the spare to about 8 PSI.

I swear back in 2007 I fit a slightly smaller Nitto Terra Grappler under there in 285/65x18. I must have because I didn't have the rear carrier then but it was ever so slightly smaller diameter.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever driven the X5 Diesel? That's a similar sized vehicle. Curious to hear how it handles.

I have driven the VW TDIs and they drive nice. You don't feel like you are driving a commercial truck engine and the acceleration off the line is great.

I became very interested in the diesel options available for large SUVs when I took a job requiring a long commute. While I want to be in the larger vehicle vs. an econobox, my commute is 400 miles a week in traffic (on top of personal driving). No, I haven't done the math on the cost difference of a diesel engine and diesel fuel vs. the increased MPG...but man, these $80 fill-ups every three days are depressing.

X5 35d would be a very nice way to spend that much time doing basic commuting. I like having a 2nd or 3rd vehicle specifically for the trips that are really just highway driving. Since 2010, about 3.5 years now, I've put about 75,000 miles on a BMW 535xi wagon which has a twin turbo inline 6 and manual 6 spd.

If you go with a BMW, I highly recommend the "20 way comfort" seats which are very nice for long trips or just lots of time in the car. Newer BMW 5 series and up will also have a ventilated option. It's very quiet even with the Dinan exhaust I put on and the Dinan ecu tune actually improved my fuel economy, as well as providing huge boosts for passing on 2 lane roads. (380hp / 420 lb-ft)

Anyway, if you're implying swapping an X5 for an LR3, they are not at all comparable for off road use or even rather rugged forest roads or deep snow. I'd have to say that in terms of true capability, the Subaru Outback or Forrester is probably more "capable" and has higher ground clearance!

If you like the idea of a TDI "suv" that also provides at least some "capability", then I'd steer very clear of the recent Jeep Cherokee considering all the issues reported with various systems, plus the overall GM recent nonsense.

However, I would consider some tdi suvs more capable than the X5 such as the VW Touareg tdi (with air) or Porsche Cayenne tdi (if optioned with the air suspension and PDCC). They use the same platform being both from the *** parent company. The Porsche has historically been available with more options for off-road capabilities even though few are used that way. The best place to learn more about the Touareg, from VW lovers, is on the "Clubtouareg" forum which I was active on for a while having had a V10 tdi. those used are very good values too. Last year model for V10 tdi was 2008. It was available with a locking rear diff which mine had and it worked incredibly well, on demand/user controlled. Center locking diff was also user controlled and standard feature.
2009 was first year for v6 tdi and it retained locking rear diff optional, last year for that feature! 2010+ tdi Touareg could be "4motion" with locking center I think, and air suspension but no locking rear anymore in the north american market.

Currently the Porsche can be bought as a v6tdi automatic but also as a v6 naturally aspirated v6 and 6 spd manual. I think it's petty cool you can get that engine with 6 spd, and a multitude of options such as air suspension, ventilated seats, and PDCC (amazing suspension control that unlocks the sway bars for off road use but tightens them for fantastic highway cornering, a little like the Toyota KDSS in results).

You could also consider something like a VW tdi wagon, a gold tdi, or spend 2-3 x on a new BMW 328d wagon ;) for the commuting. Long term the 2 car arrangement works out financially to me because you use them for purposes more suited to the design and they both last longer due to the use spread over longer term. There are extra costs in operating 2 vehicles at the same time such as redundant insurance and licensing however that could be offset by using the efficient vehicle for the commuting intensive time and the 4x4 just for the trips requiring it even if that means short outings where you camp out of the vehicle and like the extra space.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot all the work in all 4 wheel arches to increase the maximum tire clearance on my LR3. It's just one more reason I have not felt compelled to get an LR4 which only gets to the same speed a tiny bit faster. I towed a 7500 lb trailer 3000 miles last year. It was no big deal really.

The only thing that could excite me about an LR5 is tdi or at the very least some serious interior upgrades because the LR4 interior is basically just a little nicer finished version of the same crappy seats and weird ergonomics.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey stop putting down the LR4 I'm a new owner of a used one and I do love it! :p

Love your upgrades! Your build is what I would love to have.
Hidden winch, aluminum skid plates, rock sliders, rear tire carrier, second gas tank, 18' rims with mud tires and "la cucaracha" horn

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're nice, just not enough to warrant a change ;) One front dash issue I have with it though is the loss of 2 places to put things: the ledge under the lcd screen and the cubby area below the 12v sockets/pull out tray.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jwest. Sounds like you built yourself a pretty sweet truck. Glad it meets your needs.
Just watched a short video posted by NASDiesel in which a VW Touareg (used as the base for the Dakar - extremely modified admittedly but so is your truck) is as capable as any other vehicle climbing a pretty wet incline.
Either way to each their own I believe is the expression.
I did consider the LR3 as well when I was looking for a new toy and I just did not like the interior so much.
I can't wait to see pictures of your trips, I have to admit that I don't take so many pictures myself.
Have you considered swapping engine and sticking a big diesel under the hood, you'd have the truck of your dreams.
By the way, I did not mean to upset you. Life is short, live it they say.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're nice, just not enough to warrant a change ;) One front dash issue I have with it though is the loss of 2 places to put things: the ledge under the lcd screen and the cubby area below the 12v sockets/pull out tray.

I've never placed anything on that ledge. It would fall off in 0.2 seconds! lol

Seriously though, I would love to see pics of your rig! Sounds like the perfect setup.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finlayforprez your 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO tires, any issues, do they rub and can you fit one underneath in the spare spot? I have 265/60 R18s...wanted to go a bit bigger this time around without going to big to get one underneath.

The 265/65 BFG A/T KO tires are a common choice among the LR crowd. As stated, the only drawback is the need to deflate the spare to get it to fit. I have also done the same with my 285/60 Nittos. I carry an ARB portable compressor with me, should I ever need to pull the spare.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You refer to money a lot. I do not know why considering I stated I'd be driving a new G if they brought us a diesel.
BTW, I think you make a few too many assumptions about the people on this forum or in this country considering not having met them.
You're not the only one who read his response this way! LOL

Anyway, if you're implying swapping an X5 for an LR3, they are not at all comparable for off road use or even rather rugged forest roads or deep snow. I'd have to say that in terms of true capability, the Subaru Outback or Forrester is probably more "capable" and has higher ground clearance!
You could also consider something like a VW tdi wagon....
Thanks for the detailed feedback. Nah, I was mainly mentioning the X5 Diesel to see if anyone had driven it and could comment on the performance of the engine.

I did look at the tdi wagons. Looked hard at the a4 and VW JSW and was in the dealer ready to buy one. Had second thoughts when I "slept on it" and for the time being am still commuting with the LR3. I don't like the miles I put on it, but I do like that if I'm in an accident I'll likely come out on top.

In reality, I am ready to buy a new vehicle and having a tough time deciding if I should wait for a new "LR5" or buy a used LR4. I don't dislike the LR4 but it didn't seem worth the jump the times I looked. And when I almost bought, well, I didn't like the tint of green they've had the last few years. So yeah, it came down to color a bit! :)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I bought the 2004 Discovery because it was the last solid axle Land Rover brought into the US and because it was my favorite green! Vienna which is basically a metallic "sage" and the interior is the fairly rare "Aspen" which is a mix of earthy greens. Dark for the carpet, sage for seats, offset piping, dark dash and other cargo area plastic, sage door arm rests, light sage headliner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72