G4 Challenge Spec VS ARB/Rasta accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you have a better vehicle if you went with the G4 spec or ARB/Rasta accessories?

Consider Utility, Durability,Price, Installation, and Looks.

8-Land-Rover-LR3-G4-Challenge-Front-Angle-1280x960.jpg

more here

lr3.tent.fd.jpg

more here

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
I think the ARB bumper would be more durable then the G4 spec set up.

It is probably cheaper to go ARB front bumper, winch and rasta underbody and gearbox plates. Rather then the factory winch kit, A-frame, and undersheild.

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I weighed the costs of the ARB/ Rasta Set-up vs G4 Accessories. It's not that drastic of a price difference.

Pros of the ARB/ Rasta are Heavy Duty Construction, Function follows form design, provisons for jack, light and radio mounts
Cons Not a 100% integration, leaves out headlamp washers and park distance sensors, complex install, HEAVY. aftermarket front skid plate difficult to add if winch is install

Pros A Frame 100% factory integration and support, Light weight,Looks great, light mounts, Hight strength plastic, easy install, retains factory sensors and washers, integrates well w/ factory front skid plate.
Cons Does not cover full front, plastic is not necessarily strong as steel, no integrated radio mounts.

It boils down to what look and purpose you need. One could argue that there are some extra safety considerations for the Genuine LR parts? I really don't know. Maybe you could debate how the winches are bolted on? again I don't know.

The Rasta Plates and some of the other sliders that various companies produce are really straight forward and really meet the needs of the market/consumer. Still underscoring that this adds some weight. which potentially offsets the well thought out engineering considerations of Land Rover. But most say, " I need this or else" and that is what should trigger the purchase instead of the piece of mind that one day I might need underbody protection..

Trynian

Reaction score
I think you had to many parameters in your original question. The LR parts look best but are not the most durable.

If you are doing difficult offroad with high potential of undercarriage damage then you will be better off with the rasta & ARB stuff. But only the ARB if you think you need a winch and are going to do some serious stuff.

If you really do not need the winch, then no need for the ARB bumper IMO.

A good compromise is, factory winch and a-bar with the factory undersheild to look G4.

Add the Rasta gearbox guard and RS rock sliders and I think you will find you will be covered for anything you will probably be doing. It still is not quite as tough as having the ARB bumper but are you really going to need it.

I wouldn't do any serious offroad without my RS sliders at least. Without them I busted my compressor which is in a vulnerable spot and damaged my undersill underneath the plastc covers.

Last edited:

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I liked your response.

I feel that there were the right amount of parameters. Just my silly question of the "Best", which I left out "Best for what?" Showing off? Conquering Tellico? lol.

Now, I don't think it's a versus question, it's more of a "Stage one, Stage two,etc" Upgrades. being that

Stage I would be factory upgrades(G4 spec)
Stage II factory plus Rasta Rock Sliders
Stage III Factory plus Rasta Rock Sliders and under-body protection
Stage IV Bull Bar, Full Rasta under-body kit, Rear tire Mount.

Now, sure, I am missing some things here and there in the modification process and applying import tuner rules/procedure to 4x4, BUT attempting to focus on G4 spec and ARB/Rasta parts.

Though this Forum can be informative, is there a publication or DVD that rationalizes and defines the need for certain off-road parts? Preferably a BOOK or DVD.
I find that magazines are full of eye candy and trash promoting trash.

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bill, the British based Land Rover magazines tend to be a bit overwhelming with stuff, but an enjoyable magazine is Land Rover Lifestyle. The publisher is Doug Evilsizor and he is an authentic LR nut, and loves to go wheeling. However, his more current issues seem to be a bit more street oriented, because that seems to be what the dealers are having the most success with. No matter how street oriented he gets, there will always be off road content and gear discussions in the magazine.

For a brand agnostic magazine that is superior in every measurable way, try Overland Journal. The editors are all amazing people, who regularly and repeatedly do amazing things. The photography and writing is superb, and the content is meaty. It takes time to read through one, because of the depth and extent of the content. Hi, my name is Nathan an Overland Journal addict :)

As for books, Anything by Tom Sheppard is going to be life changing.
Videos, Bill Burke has a few that are low in quality, but high in content. Getting Unstuck and Being Prepared are the two most popular.

But none of these will answer your question directly. IMHO, you need to pick a few mentors in the LR3 world and follow their lead. Be specific to the LR3, because it is unlike any other vehicle out there. They take different lines, they invalidate the entire trail rating system, they have capabilities that traditional wheelers can't fathom, and they have liabilities and weaknesses that are expensive to discover unless you are with someone familiar with the LR3's capabilities.

Don’t be in a rush to bling out your truck. And yes, you can bling out your truck with off road accessories! Get some seat time first. Go out with someone more experienced in the LR3 to learn its capabilities and vulnerabilities. Then decide what you need or want.

I will offer this advice one last time:

1. 90% of the LR accessories are cosmetic, with no purpose or benefit to off roading. In fact, the rear ladder, though poorly built, is about the only LR Genuine KIT accessories that works. Maybe the dog/cargo barrier also.

2. The Rasta skid plates are aluminum, light, strong, pricey and excellent.
3. The Rasta sill protectors are fairly useless, but better than nothing.
4. The HighCountry 4x4 sliders are good, but a little funky and don't offer full protection.
5. The HighCountry 4x4 compressor relocation bracket is excellent and highly recommended.
6. The RoverSpecialties Rock Sliders are the best in the market
7. The Hannibal or FrontRunner aluminum roof racks are excellent
8. Lightforce driving lights are amazing
9. The ARB bumper is not very useful UNLESS you want a winch. The factory winch kit is far too low and drags on everything.
10. The stock approach angles of the front bumper are about the same as the ARB, and you can buy three factory bumpers for the price of an ARB installed, so think about it. The only reason to go ARB in my opinion is for the nice high winch position.
11. The spare tire location is bad for off roading. When offroading, put it in the back of the truck, or get a swing-away tire carrier. Don't put it in the roof rack.
12. If you are anywhere near California, I highly recommend contacting www.offroving.com and taking one of the courses offered. You will learn so much!

215366200_sEtee-XL.jpg

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods, Thank you for your patience. More over the time you took answer my question.I understand your perspective when I am training new people.

to briefly answer, I do need another LR3 owner, LR3 Instruction, and more off road "seat time"

contacted the local LR club and there next gathering isn't until late spring. However, I have found that LR offers a course at the Biltmore, Asheville, NC, which is not super far away, at least its in the same state as me!

Bill

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Land Rover Experience is fun, but is very basic. It might actually be cheaper and certainly more instructive to do the OffRoving course. Plus we have better weather in SoCal :)

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'n not sure if I understand basic. Like, "cool went through some mud?" or "I just need the right tools to get me to where I need to go?"

Now, SoCal weather is nice and consistent, but I like the inconsistent weather of the East Coast, especially the North East. But next time I am on the west coast I will make an effort to find off-roving.

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSC04966.jpg

Can you validate that the Factory winch location drags on everything?

It DOES look low, but what is the shortcoming?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635