G4 Challenge Spec VS ARB/Rasta accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will hurt your approach angle. I havent seen either in person but looking at the above photos of both, it looks like the winches are in the same position am I missing something?

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rover Specialties rock sliders!

nwoods or anyone else know if the Rover Specialties stage 2 and 3 offer anymore measurable protection than the stage 1. I am ready to order my rock sliders and I am not sure which set to order. I like the clean looks of the stage one but I would be willing to go with the stage 2 or 3 if anyone thought they were going to actually perform better than the stage 1.

Thanks,
Trevor

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have them but I have looked close at them and have come close to pulling the trigger on a pair. The stag2 looks like it offers a little more protection due to the fact it sticks out and will help protect the doors and sill better it you were to slide off a rock ect.
I am going to go with stage 2 I dont see much of a need for stage 3 for my self. I could et buy with stage 1. I dont have manny rocks where I wheel but will go with stage 2 when I get the ok from the wife.

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have them but I have looked close at them and have come close to pulling the trigger on a pair. The stag2 looks like it offers a little more protection due to the fact it sticks out and will help protect the doors and sill better it you were to slide off a rock ect.
I am going to go with stage 2 I dont see much of a need for stage 3 for my self. I could et buy with stage 1. I dont have manny rocks where I wheel but will go with stage 2 when I get the ok from the wife.

Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct in the fact that it could be useful to protect the lower door area. I think I will go with the stage two also. The stage three looks like it would collect a lot of mud but would make it easier to slide across rocks without hanging up but we don't have a lot or rock crawling type stuff here in Oklahoma.

On a side note, got your message yesterday and no I don't have any questions at this time. Look forward to receiving the parts.

Thanks,
Trevor

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods or anyone else know if the Rover Specialties stage 2 and 3 offer anymore measurable protection than the stage 1. I am ready to order my rock sliders and I am not sure which set to order. I like the clean looks of the stage one but I would be willing to go with the stage 2 or 3 if anyone thought they were going to actually perform better than the stage 1.

Thanks,
Trevor

Trevor, I have the stage 2 sliders. Pros are, added protection from rocks sliding
up into your door panels, stand-offs make it easy for people to stand on if you
need more weight on one side of the vehicle, easier for kids getting in/out of the
truck, easier to access cargo area on your roof. Con is, the stand-offs can get
hung up on obstacles at times. In this picture my drivers side slider was getting
hung up on a narrow waterfall.

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are lots of opinions on this issue, but ultimately it comes down to type of environment, and some degree of utility.

In My Opinion:

The stage 2 or 3's with the stand off tubes are useful as side steps to get in/out and access items on the roof. Or you can stand on the rear tire or rear door sill like I do.

The stand off tubes are reported to be very useful in forested areas with muddy, rutty trails where you can slide sideways into trees. Snow country trails might benefit from the stand off's also. Lastly, the stand offs' can be used with a HiLift, as they are very strong. However, if used that way, I recommend using this HiLift accessory to minimize the risk to your door panels: http://www.wabfab.org/products/sliders/sliders.htm

For me, I opted for the Stage 1's after running the Stage 2's for almost 2 years, experiencing wedgies a few times when the stand off tubes got me stuck in a V-shaped notch between two rocks.

While the Stage 1's offer less (essentially none) side protection, they offer more side clearance. For the rock terrain I challenge my rig with, that works best for me. I do have to be rather careful though!

The Stage 3's are for really ********* stuff, where you are anticipating sliding up over and past big, sharp edged boulders. Something like the Fordyce Trail in Northern CA.

Last edited:

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good information. I appreciate all of the comments. Go Sooners!!!

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice picture duckdive!
I also have the Stage 2's. My thought was that I wanted the extra side protection, but that I didn't want something hard to clean, which the Stage 3's seemed like they might be. Spiker got the Stage 3's before the Great Divide trip this year, and they actually have pretty good drainage. So perhaps my concern on that was unfounded. But I'm happy with the Stage 2's.
Here's a couple shots of how far they stick out.
IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boaz,

Those are some great pictures. That made my mind up. I am going with the stage 2. They look really good on the truck and don't stick out as far as I thought they would. I wish they would of had this good of pictures on the website. It would have made my decision easier. Thanks for sharing.

Trevor

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trevor, you might inquire about a new hybrid model that Rover Specialties is starting to make. It's the Option 2-Slim. It is a narrower version of the LR3 slider, it projects out about 1.125" less than the standard. It aligns with the outside of the stock aluminum LR3 rim.

Order it as: LR3opt2slim.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635