Gas Cap - Engine Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a long trip this past weekend, I got a message on the dash that said, "reduced engine performance" while on a long downhill. I was on some twisty roads, so I just ignored it and pushed on. Nothing else happened.

Skip forward two days and about 300 miles and I get a "Check Engine" fault shortly after filling up the tank. I've heard about gas caps triggering that fault, but removing replacing and restarting the car does nothing to clear the fault. Anything I should do short of taking it back to the dealer? I might get a local shop to check the faults, but I'd rather deal with the source of the problem since I'm still under warranty.

05 LR3 HSE 47K now.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2006 gives a specific gas cap message when it was loose. Sounds like somthing more serious than a loose gas cap

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have experienced a REP message going downhill on about the same mileage as you have now.Than few months after a first appearance occasional check engine light popped in for a day or two , than vanished, I did not have my Faultmate yet than, so have my codes read at local auto zone and started to change a usual suspects such as MAF sensor, new air filter, cleaned throttle body, checked for any leaks in air intake and replaced spark plugs.Sadly codes kept reappearing and more frequently along with occasional stalling now.Soon I find out that in LR3 codes for MAF usually mean a bad sensor inside a throttle body and after changing that I have no problems since and that happened almost a year a go.Without reading codes,unfortunately,guessing is usually hit or miss I am afraid...Good luck

mhb907

Reaction score
I have had two check engine light incidents.

The first was fixed by cleaning the throttle plate. Evidently fuel residue blocked a small opening in the plate and caused the mass airflow sensor to generate an out of range fault. Disassembly and cleaning corrected the situation.

The second incident was a little harder to diagnose. Running the fuel map diagnostics showed the rear cylinders running lean. The problem was caused by loose bolts holding the rear of each exhaust manifold. (If this is the problem, be very careful not to over tighten the bolts. They easily snap off.)

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just take it in while you are under warranty

It's an hour and a half to the nearest dealer for me. Basically, it takes about six hours of driving over two days to drop it off at the dealer and pick it back up. It's either that or I bum around DC while I wait for a fix that never comes and then trudge back home.

Dealer wants to wait till Friday to see if the code clears. He thinks it may be the cap but he's not optimistic. I appreciate the input though. I'll know some of the most common problems for when I take it to the shop. No other tell tale signs just yet. I'm even getting close to 20 mpg on the highway

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reseating your gas cap, try touching the two battery cables together to clear the faults.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an hour and a half to the nearest dealer for me. Basically, it takes about six hours of driving over two days to drop it off at the dealer and pick it back up. It's either that or I bum around DC while I wait for a fix that never comes and then trudge back home.

Dealer wants to wait till Friday to see if the code clears. He thinks it may be the cap but he's not optimistic. I appreciate the input though. I'll know some of the most common problems for when I take it to the shop. No other tell tale signs just yet. I'm even getting close to 20 mpg on the highway

I was in the same boat, though I do have a code reader. Some dealers are stingy with the loaners too. I used to trailer my motorcyle down and leave the trailer in their lot. The good thing was that I got some riding time in, the bad thing was that some of those trips were in the rain and others were in late October.

I would just have the code read at autozone and go from there. But you'll want to make sure to get it in before your warranty is up anyway. Make sure to bring a list of TSB's from the IPIX site as well.

Good luck..

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to take it over and drop it off today. They're pretty accommodating with me since a blow-out we had last fall over brake problems. I'm going to DC on Friday to see a concert anyway. I'll just pick it up on the way in.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air flow sensors are melted. Have to replace. They have to keep it overnight to let it fully cool. Guess I get it back tomorrow. Not the gas cap, obviously.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4