Gearbox replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_guerreiro74

Reaction score
Hello once again,

I'm posting this thread in order to find out if anyone can help me with the following:
My Discovery I from 1997, automatic transmission (ZF4HP22), have just died and here, in Portugal, automatic transmissions are not very common to find. A friend of mine has a ZF4HP22 to sell but it was mounted in a Range Rover p38A from 1997. Do you think that it is possible to adapt this gearbox to my Discovery, or the fact that the P38A has ECU wouldn't allow it?
Thank you all

Miguel Guerreiro

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken, they are the same transmission and should swap without issue.

m_guerreiro74

Reaction score
Thank you very much Joey,

I supose I'll try the change, but only after I can get a litle more information!

Happy holidays to all.

Miguel Guerreiro

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Per the repair manual... both the 97 Disco and 97 RR use the same transmission... the issue come up in the 99MY.

The gearbox features a pressure lubrication system
and is cooled by pumping the lubricant through an oil
cooler located in front of the engine cooling radiator.
From 99MY onwards, petrol models feature a revised
EAT ECU with Controller Area Network (CAN) digital
communications between the EAT ECU and the ECM.

m_guerreiro74

Reaction score
Thank you Joey,

Now I'm really becomming confused. You see I contacted a company called ashcroft transmissions, who repair these boxes and they answered me very tegraphicaly, this: the range rover gearbox can not be used in the discovery. Just like that, no more explanations, nothing. Since they sell these boxes, maybe they trying to do bussiness, but now I'm worried!
Logically if the box is the same the only diference should take place in the bell housing/pump assembly, but what if.........
One thing is for shure this Disco is going to take a ike as soon as it's running again.

Once again thank you for your time and patience and if you find some more info on this be sure to share.

Miguel Guerreiro

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd