Generator Overheat fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wlahay

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone know what Generator Overheat means? I have had this fault showing up in the IID tool since I installed a new alternator and I can't clear it. Voltages seem good, typically 14.5 sometimes drops down to 12.5 but only on rare occasions.

Thoughts?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
possibly faulty alternator.
Ive never head of generator over heat, but that doesn't mean its not possible.

do you get a fault on the dash? or only in the IID scan?
what brand alternator did you use? and was a new or a remanufactured?

wlahay

Reaction score
No fault on the dash, only present when doing a fault scan in the GAP tool. I ordered the AC Delco reman from Rock Auto.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have recommended Denso, who is the OEM supplier for Land rover.

Im not a fan of AC delco parts
and
I see that the only Ac delco alternator they list is remanufactured
it also costs $221-271, depending if you ship back your old alternator.

what year is your truck? assuming 2013 or older since rockauto doesn't have AC delco alternators for anything newer.
FCP euro sells brand new Denso alternator for $320. comes with a lifetime guarantee.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/land-rover-alternator-denso-lr023421g

maybe its possible for you to return the one you have based on being defective?

these trucks are very sensitive to electronics. of all places to buy cheaper parts, the electrical system is not one of them. without scolding you, im sure in the end after original shipping cost, core return shipping, etc, the brand new Denso one from FCP would have only been about $50 more.

wlahay

Reaction score
You are correct, it's a 2010. Unfortunately, living in Canada makes ordering anything from the US an expensive proposition... Which is why RockAuto. Their shipping to Canada is nearly 1/4 of the others.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt realize your location. id still recommend trying to return Acdelco and purchase denso.

i have found rock autos return policy to be terrible.
understood about shipping, and the financially conscious purchase.
FCP is about $40, Rockauto is $17.

due to shipping, im guessing you also didnt return the core?
rockauto total was about $295, whereas FCP total would have been $360. about 25% more.

maybe try to find a canada supplier? Denso part number DAN1103 is what your looking for.

wlahay

Reaction score
Just talked to RockAuto and it's exchange only. Ugh So if I purchase another one I am going to be up in the territory of new OEM. Always seems to work that way. As Confucius says "cheap man pays twice".

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who pays for shipping to/from for rock auto?

i once purchased wiper blades for my Audi,being thrifty, rockauto had great prices and they also said they would fit. received them and apparently Audi has a somwhat proprietary wiper connection. the length was correct, but they couldn't attach.

rock auto's stance was "well, we list them as fitting, so its not our error. due to this, we will accept the return, but you'll have to pay half of return shipping cost". fine, whatever. mind you were talking 2 wipers for a total of $15 here. my half of shipping was $12 due to the odd size of the packaging.

since then, im very cautious about ordering from them unless im 100% sure on fitment and cross check myself.. if they erroneously list it as fitting on their site, they wash their hands of responsibility. bad business.

Last edited:

wlahay

Reaction score
Because I am just past the 30 days now it's exchange only. No returns. They will pay for the return shipping and I will need to pay for new shipping if I accept their replacement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM