Getting the spare tyre out with a quick release tow hitch. broken key.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WayneK9DI

Reaction score
Hello,
I've got a bit of a pickle. The right front tyre is flat on my 2005 LR3 SE and it appears that the key to the quick release tow hitch was broken off in the keyway prior to purchase.
Is there a way to winkle the spare tyre out without removing the tow hitch?
If not, how to get the tow hitch off with a bunged up key?
Any pointers would be phenomenal.
Thank you in advance

Wayne

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. simply release plenty extra of the hoist cable and you should be able to shift it forward edge down first then it'll clear the hitch. It won't come straight down like it would normally lower but the front edge nearest axle will lower first.

I am guessing you didn't try it out? ;)

Also, there are hitch key replacement methods, call the dealer first. I've seen key replacements on Atlantic British or Rovers North.

Good luck

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've got a bit of a pickle. The right front tyre is flat on my 2005 LR3 SE and it appears that the key to the quick release tow hitch was broken off in the keyway prior to purchase.
Is there a way to winkle the spare tyre out without removing the tow hitch?
If not, how to get the tow hitch off with a bunged up key?
Any pointers would be phenomenal.
Thank you in advance

Wayne

^ in case the reply didn't pop you an alert

teekster

Reaction score
The lock for the tow receiver is made by Thule. Just go to your local Thule dealer with the number on the lock cylinder to get a replacement key. I think I paid $3.

viper_iii

Reaction score
That or replace key lock mechanism -
https://www.britishpartsofutah.com/...-LR4-Hitch-Receiver-Lock-Key-p/knb500080k.htm

~$40 and replace the lock - pin comes out with a small allen wrench and some easy hammering.
new one goes in just the same -

to get unlocked years ago we used a spare key from another one and it unlocked but the key never came out - but we got the hitch off anyway - odd the key worked from another lock just wouldn't come out. two new lock kits and all was sorted.

Think I waited ~4 years before doing this very simple project because I though it was harder than it really was.
However much easier doing it on the tailgate vs underneath. -

$3 key replacement also probably a good/better solution as well!

LR-Hitch-3-32.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72