Gos into low gear by itself when starting to drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shwacky1000

Reaction score
Have 2003 range rover which had a bunch of issues and dash lights on. I replaced the battery and reset everything. Then after driving it 2-5 mins transmission gos into limp mode it seems like. Pulled codes and only code it had was p0721. I then replaced all the transmission fluid, the filter and the outshalft speed sensor.

Now i have no codes but once you start to drive off the low gear indicator light comes on and wont turn off. Also if i let it idle for 5-10 mins the light shuts off but as soon as you start to go the light comes on again.

Any suggestions of how to fix this would be great. Thanks

5crows

Reaction score
When I did the transmission fluid changeover, I somehow partially unseated a sensor that sits behind the linkage lever, not sure what the sensors function was or what it is called, but it somehow works the dash transmission position light PRND, and gear numbers. This caused many strange symptoms which pointed to transmission linkage, that were really electrical sensor issues.

Basically, the light on the dash, would go out (from D for Drive to no light). Happened most of the time when braking down hill to a stop. This movement kind of rocked the suspension and I think caused a contact point to shift/separate. When I accelerated from stop, the transmission seemed in neutral, engine would rev up. Shifter was still in D position, but going to neutral and back would sometimes bring the dash Indicator D back on.

I thought my linkage was bad and messed with that over a week or so, resetting it sometimes made the issue go away for a day or two. During one of the trips under the truck, I noticed that there was a sensor behind the linkage lever and it was a bit parted/askew. I re-set it and all the problems went away.

I did also have it go into Manual or Sport unexpectedly. But that wasn't the primary symptom on mine. Good Luck.

Shwacky1000

Reaction score
Thanks for the info but thats not at all what im dealing with. Linkage is fine. Problem started before linkage was removed and installed when changing fluid.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Shwacky1000 this is an LR3 message board. You may get quicker help if you post in the RR section.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM